Non-reversible screws in bathroom stalls

It still makes no sense. Random vandalism doesn’t seem to justify an entire industry changing the process. As a former vandal, I would have removed the bolts from the entrance door so it would fall; disconnect the U-pipe, etc. Plus, unscrewing the stall from the wall still wouldn’t cause it to fall.

So how does one dissassemble the stall when one needs to?

Shaped charges.

It doesn’t have to. It only has to suggest to one bathroom-stall-supply vendor that they might be able to make more money if they offer one-way screws as an option, and before long it will be an option they all offer.

From the demand side, if you can buy a bathroom stall that is vandal resistant for essentially the same cost as one which isn’t, even if you don’t expect vandalism, why not do it?

There are a couple of different methods that I’ve used over the years. (I’m a commercial carpenter/general contractor, and have had to remodel/alter numerous restrooms in schools, to meet ADA code. ADA = American Disabilities Act building codes and specifications.)
Depending on the type of nonremovable/vandal proof screw, I usually try to grip the edges of the screw with a good pair of Vise Grips. If that fails or isn’t possible, (due to lack of enough “edge”, to grip!:mad:) I’ll take a hack saw blade, and cut a groove in the head of the screw, so that I can get a screwdriver to “get a bite” on it. (The majority of the screws that I’ve had to deal with, are chrome plated brass, and are easily cut with a hand held blade.)

Sometimes, even those two methods won’t work. Bathroom stalls are notoriously corrosive environments! :eek:

At that point, it’s usually necessary to resort to more drastic (read… DESTRUCTIVE) methods. :wink: All in all, they can be a substantial, PITA! (PAIN IN THE ASS!:rolleyes:)

I’ve definitely come across a few, that almost REQUIRED high explosives!:stuck_out_tongue:

You can buy left-handed drill bits. Drilling into a non-reversible screw, the bit will eventually bite hard enough to back it out. Or the head of the screw will come off. Either way is effective.