Non-vegetarians: Could you ever be a vegetarian? Vegetarians: Do you ever miss meat?

I could easily switch to pescatarianism as that’s how I grew up. Giving up fish would be tough as I come from a fish-eating culture. But if I had to, I could since vegetarianism is pretty endemic in Indian cultures. I guess as a result I don’t think of it as “weird” or even a lifestyle choice-on the other hand, veganism sort of confuses me but whatever.

A goodly portion of my family married out of our culture into vegetarian families and they’ve all given it up for the most part.

I’ve been a vegetarian for going on 20 years now, and never miss meat.

I used to miss the ability to simply walk into any burger joint and get a cheeseburger, but now many places, including Burger King, Subway, Capriotti’s, Denny’s, Red Robin, & Fudruckers all have veggie burgers, so that isn’t a problem anymore.

BK does? Really? What’s it called and is it a regional thing?

BK has actually had a veggie burger since at least 2002 or so. I haven’t seen it advertised in awhile but I’m pretty sure they still have it. It might be something you have to ask for now. I’ve had it in CA, AZ, and NC, so it’s not an isolated thing.

I really doubt it, I’ve been eating at least a few vegetarian meals a week for 5 years (my sister her boyfriend and now my girlfriend are vegetarians), I really like eating vegetarian food but I just don’t think i could give up burgers, steak or sausages.

Burger King introduced the BK Veggie in 2002, as Cisco said. It’s a patty made by Morningstar Farms, and now that they have the microwaving process figured out, is very tasty. (At first they just slapped them on the same grill that cooks hamburgers, but vegetarian groups pointed out the flaw in this process.)

It’s not regional; all BKs sell them, and they will gladly put cheese on it for a few cents more.

Burger King (Hungry Jacks) in Australia also sell them.

Vegan, never. You’ll pry my glass of milk, my fish and my fried egg from my dead hands.

Vegetarian, only temporarily.

I don’t eat “meat substitutes.” I eat lots of recipes which are vegetarian or vegan, but they were intended that way; when I want a steak I want a steak.

Ah, thanks for the info, you guys.

My thoughts too. If you can replace the basic farmyard group I’m there.

I’ve been vegetarian for about 5 years, and vegan since May. The decisions centered around a defining realization, for me, that meat/dairy/egg is completely irrelevant to the level of enjoyment food gives me.

I went vegetarian after I had some vegetarian sausage that had flavor and texture (and thus delivered satisfaction) similar to that of meat sausage. And I thought why should I eat meat-based food when there are vegetarian alternatives that I find just as satisfying?

With vegan, I had a similar moment. I was eating barbecue potato chips that had whey listed in the ingredients. And I realized that, for me, the satisfaction I got from the chip was the crunch and saltiness, which I didn’t require dairy or egg for. I realized I did not personally find animal-based foods intrinsically any more satisfying than plant-based foods.

I do not miss meat at all. It is more work, as others have noted, to seek food out in conventional gatherings or restaurants. But I don’t mind.

My best friend has been vegetarian for 21 years, and she WAS an in-your-face, rude vegetarian. She thought it was rude of people to eat meat in front of her, and she would tell you this. Fortunately, I think she’s mellowed with age.

I do not force my views on anyone. I recognize that this is a personal choice on my part.

When I travel, I bring a lot of snacks with me. I forage at events for plant-based foods. It’s easier to put meals together when I’m home because my refrigerator and pantry are full of great vegan foods and options.

I ate vegetarian for many years when I was younger for the simple reason that I was shacked up with a vegetarian and didn’t want to cook twice. It was not difficult, once I discovered that smoked cheese can substitute nicely for bacon.

I ate meat again after we broke up and that was also not difficult. As a sort of hangover from that time I probably eat less meat than average – once you figure out that you don’t have to plan meals around the meat you do it less often. And it is of course cheaper.

I do think that vegetarians bring out the worst behavior in omnivores sometimes – I cnnot tell you how many people snuck meat into food and then pulled a sort of “gotcha” moment, as though I would explode from the knowledge that I just ate meat without knowing it, or possibly they were hoping I would miraculously convert. I mostly found it a good way to decide who I did not want to hang out with – whether I was an omnivore or not, that kind of behavior is just despicable.

I suppose if my doctor told me, “…we’ve identified a compound, found only in meat, that you are violently allergic to. If you continue to eat meat YOU WILL DIE!” I might consider becoming a vegetarian, but that’s about the only way I’d even think about the possibility.

I’d never —and haven’t ever— consider becoming a vegetarian for any misguided ethical reason. I can’t imagine any scenario where I’d one day decide that eating meat is somehow morally wrong and I’m a sadistic primitive brute for doing so.

I think this is my answer exactly. If my doctor told me today I could never eat meat again, I don’t think I would even blink. “Okay, doc.” If he told me I couldn’t eat cheese, I’m not sure life would be worth living. No more crab? That wouldn’t be as tough as giving up cheese, but it would be tough. Please please please let me eat cheese.

Omnivore here. I could be and have been a person eating only vegetables, including a 6 week stint at a vegetarian commune in the early 1980s, so in that sense I could “be a vegetarian”. But I don’t see myself ever becoming committed to it as a cause or anything.

I love good vegetarian food. I love a good mixed-grill barbecue. I’m not much on giving up good things.

I was vegetarian from age 12 to 20, when I got pregnant (weird preggers craving for HAM). I loved the food, and felt better than I do now. As a veggie, I missed some things. Going into a restaurant and just ordering, like some others have said. And pepperoni. For some reason, I really missed pepperoni.
Nowadays, I cook and eat more meat, but my day progresses just fine even if I don’t have any meat at all. My son is the same way with meat- both of us can take it or leave it. I’ve thought about going veggie again, but I don’t want to deal with the way meat eaters treat vegetarians. It’s hard enough as an adult, but just think about what it’s like for a painfully shy and self-conscious 13 year old girl… not sure it’s smart for me to relive all that now that I’m shorter of patience and louder of voice.

Aye, this is it. I can cook almost anything and most meatatarians will never know there isn’t meat in it. It’s not really the meat that they want in a dish, it’s the difference in texture from the rice & veggies (and an added flavor, but all ingredients are about adding flavor, really). Today, there are a lot of things that fill that void in vegetarian dishes, and with my ingredients there’s less fat and no cholesterol.

I don’t think of them as “meat substitutes” tho, just as basic ingredients for texture and flavor.

[/rant]

Sorry for the detour. Thanks for understanding.

I could be if it was important to my health or something. My wife is, and I don’t eat much meat as a result.

I would miss it, though.

Not vegan or vegetarian, but we do a lot of non meat containing meals just because we happen to like variety and I have some cookbooks from medieval europe, medieval persia, india, china and japan that we like to cook from, and there are lots of yummy recipes that happen to have no meat, or have a lenten nonmeat version.

We could easily go vegetarian but we really like dairy and eggs [and now i am menopausal I need the calcium and vitamin d that milk contains even though I also do suppliments, I feel there is something available in natural foods you just cant get in a pill] and I can not see giving them up.

As to the whole gas issue, there are herbs that also help with gas, epazote is a mexican herb, and bohnenkraut [quick google here - savory] and fennel seed all seem to reduce gas.

Oddly enough it takes about a year for me to adjust to adding in onions and beans before the gas reduces to non geneva convention offense levels. You mileage [and gassiness] may vary. Beano absolutely does not work for me, I think it makes it worse =(

I have too much respect for the food chain (well, food web) in general to ever consider *not *eating meat. Humans are omnivores, with an omnivore’s dentition and digestive system.

Look at it this way. If I won the lottery and decided to use the money to open a wildlife sanctuary … that would be considered good, right? Good for the planet, good use of a windfall ethically and morally (to help others in need) etc. etc. Yes?
But running a wildlife sanctuary, I take in abused tigers, and neglected lions, and all manner of wild beasties … and now I need to import three thousand pounds of raw meat per week to keep them all fed. So, is that still morally and ethically OK? Because it’s for the good of the abused and homeless critters?
Why does the tiger get to eat steak and I don’t?

I am disgusted by CAFOsand believe animals should be raised humanely and sustainably. <cue swelling background music> But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t eat them; it just means we are responsible for providing a quick and painless death at the end of a peaceful and happy life.

That was the long answer.

The short answer to “could you ever be a vegetarian?” is “No. Because: ribeyes and bacon.” The end. Sometimes I get long-winded.