"None of the above" option

I had a similar problem once.
Several years ago, locally we had a election for Sheriff.
That was the only race on the ballot.
Three people running, none of which I could support.
I went to the polling place, signed in, entered booth, and exited booth.
So I signed in was counted as a voter but never cast a ballot.

Hmm. Interesting idea just hit me. What if, in the event of a NotA plurality, they let the second-place finisher accept the office, with the proviso that [s]he be limited to a single term (in the case of an incumbent, it would be the last term [s]he is eligible to hold that office)?

This is as anti-democratic and contemptuous of the people as voiding a first-place candidate.

Actually, it’s simply the same thing as not having a NotA choice at all. IOW, exactly what most elections in most jurisdictions have. The real person with the most votes wins.

I’m not suggesting they don’t publish the results accurately. Example of how Nevada does it:For State Dogcatcher:
None of the Above: 10,345 votes
Bob Smith: 8,765 votes
Jane Doe: 5,432 votes
Spoiled or blank votes: 2,345 non-votes.

The winner is Bob Smith.How is that different from a different jurisdiction with no NotA choice? Example of how a typical jurisdiction does it:
For State Dogcatcher:
Bob Smith: 8,765 votes
Jane Doe: 5,432 votes
Spoiled or blank votes: 12,690 non-votes.

The winner is Bob Smith.
IMO in order for NotA coming first to have teeth, it either needs to result in a fresh election with none of the current candidates eligible, or it needs to result in the office remaining vacant (or in the hands of the incumbent) until the next election cycle.

Neither of those options has much real world practicality.

The 2003 California Gubernatorial Recall Election was interesting, though its peculiarity was sort of opposite to None-of-the-above.

The incumbent Gray Davis received 4.0 million votes; Arnold Schwarzenegger won with 4.2 million votes. However Schwarzenegger would have won with a million fewer votes. Moreover, many of those voting Schwarzenegger also voted for Davis. The rule was that Davis needed 50+%; otherwise the other candidate with most votes would win, even if they got far fewer than Davis. (California law was that those voting to retain Davis could not vote for an alternative, but this law was overturned by a federal judge 2 months before the election; many of those voting Schwarzenegger also voted to retain Davis.)

At least a guy taking office after “losing” to none of the above wouldn’t be able to claim possession of a mandate.

Been saying that for years.

I swear, I used to joke about running for office on the platform of “Well, I couldn’t do any worse” - I seriously think I could actually get a hell of a lot of votes with that platform right now …

And yes, I could see if we had that in the electoral system the idiots would be claiming that ‘Obammer was making his move to taking over the presidency permanently, get ready for all the guns to get conficamakated and the death panels to git started up!!!’ even though he would obviously have to stay in office pro tem until the new panel of candidates was ready.

I generally vote on propositions I have an opinion about and leave the candidates section blank unless there’s a specific candidate I want to vote for. I don’t just auto-fill the single candidate circles and by party for the rest. I don’t know if they interpret that as “none of the above”, but they should.

I’ve come to a way out of this dilemma. I’ve begun to think in terms of, not voting for a President, but voting for future Justices of the Supreme Court. Which candidate, in spite of my total dislike of them, would pick the most favorable Justices? Based on that criterion only, I’ve tentatively decided.

The only real reason for none of the above would be to make sure you didn’t accidentally leave it blank. Well, that, and a procedural option in electronic voting so you can not vote in one race and move on to the ones you do plan to vote for.

Australia, with its required voting, has the former. I seem to remember the electronic machines I used in 2008 having the latter, with also an option to just quit after you’d voted as much as you wanted.