North Korea and Superbowl

The news story takes the time difference into account.

IMHO, you have nothing to apologize for.

I have always found you to be a gentleman and an honorable poster.

We may disagree slightly about the possibility of any danger. But disagreements is what people do.

You have always had my respect.

It’s not like the Super Bowl is anything important…

There is no real danger, as North Korea knows that an attack like that is suicide. All out war against North Korea would end in their absolute destruction. Likely the death of Kim Jong Un and all the military leaders under him.

An attack would end China’s support of them, too. It would be N. Korea vs the world.

Stephen Colbert has already said his staff will be writing right through the game to ensure the LIVE Late Show is absolutely topical. America is ready!

It looks like North Korea fired off the missile already. Its trajectory is south, so, look out Australia.

I’m watching CNN right now. About one minute ago, the announcer, quoting Japan’s NHK television, said that it appears the first stage of the missile exploded and the second stage disappeared from radar.

Oh no! It’s a stealth missile.

I wonder how many technicians’ and engineers’ lives just exploded as well?

Failure is not well-received at HQ.

LSLGuy, that was a really great post. Just thought you ought to know.:cool:

If you like FairyChatMom, she’s a regular contributor to our weekly MMP threads in the Mundane Pointless Things I Must Share forum. :slight_smile: We call her MOOOOOOOOOOM there.

Probably one of the reasons they have such a hard time achieving anything. Fail, and your history. Bring in the next set of technicians and engineers. Pretty hard to learn from your mistakes.

Some reports are saying the launch was successful. I’ve seen at least 2 reports which said NORAD has confirmed the North Koreans put a satellite into orbit. (The other report said that one of the two objects is thought to be the upper stage of the rocket, which in most cases remains in low-earth orbit for a while before re-entering.

The launch was not only successful, the satellite passed directly over Levi’s Stadium, site of the Super Bowl, an hour after the game ended. That’s being reported by several outlets.
ETA: removed link (same as Diceman’s)

Rocket science is hard, even when you are good at it. I highly doubt the NK Government makes a regular practice of eliminating it’s engineers, scientists, and technicians whenever a mistake is made or an experiment/attempt fails.

For domestic consumption, all they have to do is claim they fired a missile; they don’t actually have to do it.

I tried to decide whether to start a new thread about the following news story. But I decided there was just not enough participation in this thread and so it seemed to me it is not a topic that has a lot of interest.

I don’t know why. North Korea scares the living **“BLEEP” **out of me and I have never understood how some nation state that is obviously … (words fail me) … has been able to participate with other nation states. It just baffles me - completely baffles me - I just don’t know the words to express my feelings about that place.

Here is the news story:

**North Korea threatens to carry out attacks on ‘mainland America’ if the US carries out planned military drill with South Korean troops **

Read more: US and South Korea will rehearse invading North Korea as a ‘pre-emptive strike’ | Daily Mail Online

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Can anyone explain to me why so few people seem to take this seriously? I agree the leaders are so far out in left field they seem like a joke.

But the consequences could be so enormously terrible, isn’t it worth taking seriously?

Because it isn’t?

Charlie, I concur completely with you that North Korea is a horrible place with leadership that makes Donald Trump look like a veritable Washington, and that if it so desired, it could do a great deal of harm and cause a great amount of bloodshed. I do not dispute that.

But the Korean mainland is about 3,600 miles from the nearest US mainland (Alaska) and the distrance between Pyongang and Seattle, Washington is 5,143 miles. This is not an inconsequential distance.

The North Korean government has made so many statements of such outrageous flim-flam that it is perhaps hard to take them seriously. But even they know what the consequences of an attack on the American mainland must be (if not, they can ask the Japanese how that went for them).

Keeping a wary eye on them is always a good thing; obsessing about what they threaten to do is not. IMHO, of course. YMMV.

Because they lack the capability to do anything. If a 5 year old girl says she’ll beat my ass silly I don’t take the threat seriously. She might be a psycho & truly mean it. If she had a gun and I took a nap it might be curtains for me. But I know (not suspect; know) she doesn’t have a gun & I’m not napping.

The NKs can pretty thoroughly wreck SK in a span of hours. But that’s about it. And they will totally die trying; the US & world response will be overwhelming and thorough.

Any NK threat beyond that is just a spoiled child ranting at the adults.

The time when the US and SK are conducting a joint exercise with larger than usual numbers of troops, and during which they will practice a pre-emptive strike at NK, seems like a particularly inopportune time to start a war.

This is crazy posturing by the lunatics in charge of the asylum of North Korea. It’s what they do.

The US and SK will do their exercise, Kim will announce that they have been scared off by his threats, and life will continue until he dies, gets shot, or the next time.

Kim could fuck up Seoul pretty bad if he wanted to, as long as he doesn’t mind dying and having his army destroyed within a week or so. As soon as the anti-missile defense system mentioned in the article is deployed, the threat of his missiles will be markedly reduced, Then we go back to the same freak show as twenty years ago. It sucks, but the US is in no danger, and South Korea is in no more danger than it has been since the end of the Korean War.

Regards,
Shodan