Nose piercings: share your thoughts

But that’s what the OP asked for…thoughts on nose piercings. I’d think twice about doing it if people whose opinions I polled (and whose opinions I evidently value) all said it sucks. I think the OP may be trying to avoid a mistake, or at least a more-painful-than-it’s-worth procedure.

The way I read it, the OP was asking for thoughts on specific issues related to nose piercing. Her exact questions all related to the mechanics:

I don’t see anywhere in there asking for opinions of how they look. In fact, the OP went ahead and stated her opinion of how they look (according to her, classy). I think you’re reading into it what you want to see.

(bolding mine) - absolutely. Everyone heals differently, has different habits, different skin chemistry, etc. If you have any other piercings (ie. ears) that might give you some indication of how your body deals with it, but keep in mind that piercings in different places on the body can react differently. So, everyone’s advice should be read with some degree of understanding that it may or may not be applicable to your experience. That is why a good relationship with your piercer is important, as s/he can dispense advice according to how your particular body is reacting to the piercing.

:confused: It’s been six years for me, and I never pay any special attention to my piercing. I wash my face, it’s part of my face, that’s it. The only time I make any effort to clean the piercing specifically is on the (rare) occasions that I change jewelry. But that’s me. Some people do need to clean the site more regularly.

To avoid confusion, this is properly called a “nostril screw.” AFAIK, a “stud” is an earring with a straight stem, made to fit in an ear. I have always read/been told that earrings should never be worn in the nose (though this may be done more frequently in non-Western cultures). Earrings don’t fit properly in the nose, and anything with a back would harbor bacteria. Nostril screws and nose rings are easy to find, inexpensive and available in a wide variety of styles. There is no reason to raid your earring collection to decorate your nose.

And she followed her OP with frustration that folks had viewed but offered “nothing to share.” Perhaps folks were doing their best to share.
And I don’t see the OP’er registering complaint.

Ask people what they think about your cosmetic choices, and some folks who would generally keep their opinions to themselves are going to comply with your request.

im 42 and i have one…i wear a diamond on the left side… i dont think that the side u wear it on has any significance… i have had mine for over 10 years and i ALWAYS get compliments on it … even from senior citizens… it adds a little bit a flava… i say go on with yo bad self and git u one… …

I mainly have to clean it because I am allergic to dust, and thus sneeze a lot, and have the inevitable reaction. But it’s no different than blowing one’s nose, really.

I don’t think the second part of this was directed to me, but they do make studs in India specifically for the nose. They are longer. But I still don’t like them as they are difficult to put in and take out.

And the side you wear it on has a great deal of significance to me. I would never wear one on the irght side. I’m Punjabi and culturally we always wear it on the left side. I wouldn’t feel comfortable with it on the other side.

This goes along with the “everyone is different” line of argument. I don’t consider myself to be unusually tolerant of pain, and my experience was more in line with XJETGIRLX’s: it felt kind of like a nose hair being yanked. Actually, pulling a nose hair sounds more painful than the piercing. I remember mainly that the *fear *of the pain was much worse than the piercing itself. My eyes didn’t even water (though I believe eyes-watering is very common). When it was done I said something like “well, that was anticlimactic.”

When people ask me what it felt like, I say: “It felt like someone put a needle through my nose. But it was very quick!” :smiley:

But if you are worried about the pain, there’s nothing wrong with taking a couple of Motrin (no more than that) a half hour before you get pierced. It won’t dull the pain to any great extent, but it will help keep the swelling down, which is good for healing. To be safe, it is a good idea to get your piercer’s OK before doing this, as s/he might have a different opinion on self-medicating before getting pierced.

And, it should be obvious that you absolutley should not have a few drinks before your piercing!

I want one on the left side, which is traditional in India for some reason. When I was in India, almost all women I saw, in all different castes, religions, and walks of life, had their noses pierced on the left. (Anyone know why the preference for the left side?) When I wear a sari, I want a nose pin to go with it.

Ah, I did not know that. They have straight stems with backs? I have never seen those in the U.S., so pardon my ignorance. :slight_smile:

And as far as distinguishing between “studs” and “nostril screws” that was just to avoid confusion when talking about different types of jewelry, since a lot of people without nostril piercings aren’t aware of the differences. I did not mean to imply that you didn’t know the difference!

But now I have to stop typing about this because I’m getting on a plane in a couple of hours. Alaska, here I come!

Way back when it was believed that the left side of the body, in Ayurvedic medicine, has the most to do with childbirth, so if you got your nose pierced on the left side it meant you would have an easier time with childbirth. I guess because of the pain. Now it’s predominantly cultural. America being a salad bowl as it is doesn’t have the same cultural sense as many other countries. So they can afford to vary more. India is culturally rich and seeing as how I got the ring partly at least to signify my connection I wasnt’ about to go against that. Actually, I never even dreamed of going against.

Yes. And the backs fit inside the fronts. In an earring, normally the back slides over the front. In a nose stud, the front is hollow and the back screws or slides inside.

I thought so. And I appreciate the terminology, as I wasn’t sure how to express what I was saying either.

I read it as *some * of the things she was interested in hearing about. Not necessarily an exclusive list of what she wanted to know.

That’s possible too. I guess my beef isn’t so much about people not liking how it looks; jeez, between my tattoos (including the dreaded tramp stamp), piercings and awful smoking habit, I’d have to be a big ‘ol crybaby if I couldn’t deal with some criticism. It’s one thing, however, to say "it’s not my cup o’ tea" then to come in here and say “it looks like ass” (although I must say “boogery afterthought” made me giggle out loud :stuck_out_tongue: )

The Lady B has one. At first I didn’t like it, I tend not to like facial piercings in general and this seemed no exception. Eyebrows are distracting and lip piercings are just ooky, IMO.

Her first stud had kind-of ball-shaped end to it, it really looked like a booger stuck to her nose. When she switched to a flatter jeweled stud that sat more flush to her skin it looked much better.

As a piercing apprentice herself, she’d certainly agree that the only correct method is using a hollow needle and starting with an oversized stud until the swelling goes down. She prefers the screw-in studs over the straight-with-a-bulbous-tail variety (they fall out easily).

In general, for anything other than an ear-lobe, she says to use the hollow needle piercing method. The piercing guns can shatter cartilage and crush tissue rather than cutting through as the hollow needle can.

Her shop’s Piercing Aftercare Guide is linked here.

Please don’t. Nose piercings are not attractive.

But if you’re determined to do it, do it right. Run a bone through it.

I took my (half-Indian) daughter to get her nose pierced when she was 16. The guy used a metal tube to guide the really heavy gauge needle and did it all by hand. I have never heard of using a piercing gun on anything but earlobes. My daughter did not flinch, showed no pain, not a peep nor a tear out of her. She withstood the ordeal so well it got me thinking of getting it myself. My wife used to wear a gorgeous ruby pin, unfortunately being red it did look like a zit, though I had enough sense not to say so out loud. So my advice is avoid anything reddish. Get a sapphire or diamond.

I keep meaning to add, it did hurt like HELL for me. Ouch-ouch-ouch-ouch. I mean, I wasn’t on the floor or anything but definitely with tears in my eyes, etc. But it was all for just a second.

My girlfriend has a tiny, teeny, itsy-bitsy diamond. I always think she has a little glitter on her face. It’s extremely unimposing.

I’ve seen a couple Indian (i.e., from India) women with their nasal piercings on the right-hand side. Any idea why? If it matters, they were very likely Brahmins.

Heh heh, not really…however, 35-to-40-year old unmarried, financially stable men are another story. :wink:

And, with regards to Renee’s idea, here’s a pic of my shnoz. It shows the left side, which is where I’d want to get it done.

South Indian women pierce it on the right side (Tamil Nadu/Kerala). I have no idea why. My understanding was that North Indians and Muslims pierce on the left and South Indians pierce on the right. What the origins are of that-I don’t know.