Note to Gym Users (Warning: Mild)

I’m at a loss, what should we wear, burqas?

And it sounds like the woman at your gym was doing either bridges or pelvic tilts or hip raises - all of which are legitimate exercises.

The rest of this thread is making me love my gym even more than I already thought I did.

question for the women…most gyms have a few middle aged semi-obese balding men that think they are the original macho man who come over and hit on you…does that bother you? When they come over with their tank tops on and their fat guy hanging out…do you wish they’d cover it up with lose fitting clothing like some suggest heavier women do? Some of those guys wear weight belts just to hold their flab in

No, not the older guys, for some reason with me, it’s the dumb young ones. What gives on that? I mean come on, I’m 43!! A young looking 43, but 43.

This one kid, total 'roidhead, training for “competition,” seemed to think I was just fine, kept bothering me and stuff, I never could figure that one out.

But the older “not yet fit” guys? They tend to be the most serious and polite, at least at the gym I go to.

My beef with my gym is mostly “the usual” people not putting back weights, people resting on the machines, doing circuit training during peak time. But like you, I like most aspects of my gym. Not many “gym bunnies” there.

Then there’s the university gym where I teach, arrgggh. Not so much the university students, but the univ. rents out the ice rink, pool, volley ball courts etc to local high schools, and boys/girls club type organizations, and those students behave like total little jerks.

No, they weren’t the aforementioned exercises. You has to see it to believe it. I haven’t seen her at the gym since, so it was an abberation.

Burqas?! No, I am not a prude. And I pretty much rescinded my complaint. But men do not wear skin-tight workout clothes. So why do women? Perhaps you could enlighten me. It’s not a ballet class.

Well, I’m not sure what YOUR definition of “skin tight” entails, but I’ll try. And, of course, I’m not speaking for all women here.

First of all, most of our workout clothes are made of lycra. Lycra stretches to allow movement, it is also formfitting. That doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s “tight” though.

The alternatives, say those baggy muscle pants and a tshirt or sweats, are boxy, ugly and not very flattering to the female form.

Sweats are, well… sweaty!!!

Why would I wear the more, gosh how would you define it? “sexy” type gym wear?

First of all for inspiration. If I “look good” I will feel good and this will spur me on to workout harder and stick with it. It’s kind of a little psychological mind trick you play on yourself to inspire hard work and reward at the same time.

Granted, the few times I do see “that look” from a man, I feel a little overwhelmed, I’m not the femme fatale type, but at the same time, it makes me feel good too. Who doesn’t want at least some admiration from the opposite sex (or sexual preference partner of one’s choice)?

When I first started out? I wore giant men’s 3xxx shirts, that even at my biggest absolutely swallowed me up. They were like dresses on me lol!!! (I still don’t wear shorts, my legs are pale and not quite where I want them yet fitnesswise, but do wear the nicer lycra type matching outfits).

The trouble with baggy clothes is that they get in the way. When I used to wear the big shirts I’d get off of the stairstepper, and the shirt (unbeknownst to me) would have managed to snag on some point at the back down toward the hem.

I’d hop off the machine, start to walk quickly away to go to the treadmills for cooldown, and next thing I know, I’d be reeled back down onto my butt on the darn stairstepper footpads!! (looks really graceful let me tell you).

So anyway, (sorry for the sidetrack). I decided that closer fitting clothing was a safer and less embarrassing way to go. Then as I started losing sizes, cute and fun outfits became “rewards” in place of the “old reward system” of chocolate etc.

And lastly, I’d guess we girls “dress up” at the gym, for the same reason we “dress up” for anything else. Girls like to decorate, look pretty, be admired (hopefully).

As for the woman doing the strange things at your gym. You know, there is a large contingent of bbws that are admired by men. She may or may not have been one of them.

As for the weird behaviour? Another person I was talking with recently described some reaaaaaaaaaally strange behaviour at her gym. This girl was doing the “butt dance” complete with slapping her own rear end and watching herself in the studio mirror!!!

Blech! I wrote this sentence inside out and upside down.

Was supposed to convey that a large number of MEN admire bbws just the way they are, and was supposed to speculate about why she might have been dressed sexily despite her not being a size 2 or whatever. Anyway, one reason is that she might have been one of the bbw’s who had male admirers, hence her sexy manner of dress.

Exercise isn’t just to obtain a certain look (i.e., slimness), there are many people who may be heavier and are still extremely healthy, so that is why they are working out. (I hope that made more sense)