Now that Obama is POTUS aren't black claims of being oppressed kind of hollow?

My buddies and I joked that’s why Jesse Jackson was tearing up. He’s now out of a job. :stuck_out_tongue:

When you’re living in the Anacostia neighborhood of DC and you’re classmates are getting shot outside of their school, you have every right to feel oppressed.

What I don’t think is appreciated overmuch is the fact that lots of white people are similarly oppressed - if they’re living in steel towns like where I grew up, or dying farming communities, or coal towns. They don’t feel any better when white people get elected president - it never changes their lives much.

I didn’t agree with much in Obama’s Wright speech, but he nailed this fact to the wall.

Astro, please explain the income gap. There are only two options as far as I can tell. One of them is racism.

Nah, he was crying because he just realized whose hand holds the nut cutter now.

Now, if only they had discovered these things 20 months ago when he announced his candidacy. Would’ve saved us a lot of trouble. :wink:

And, of course, he’s right that Hawaii wasn’t a state in 1961. The Hawaiian monarchy was illegally overthrown in 1893, making all decisions after that moot. Too bad they didn’t accept that when it came time to pay my income taxes.

Oppressed? By whom? Neglected maybe, but lots of Americans are neglected.

Since Benazir Bhutto became the leader of Pakistan, does that mean women have full equality in that country?

Yes, astro, just like Irish have not been considered low class drunks since Kennedy and Italian-americans would have never been called ‘guidos’ again if Giuliani had won.

Outside of The Sopranos, who still uses “guidos” as a racial slur?

The internet. Really. Big time.

Can I go around saying the Black Man is holding me down?

The internet told me I could get my kidneys stolen in Las Vegas if I weren’t careful. The internet also told me the US would never elect a black president because we’re all racists and we’d riot.

The internet is such an interesting reflection of reality.

When it comes to what people are saying, yes it is, because it’s people who are talking on the Internet.

Do you how white people always want to believe it’s OK to call black guys “nigga” because “That’s what they call each other!” It’s really like that with Italians and ethnic slurs. I mean Jesus, we still use Guido as a first name.

This is why most of us shook our heads in disbelief when that Italian-American group criticized The Sopranos for making all Italians look like mobsters. We love that people think that!

Of all the white children born in America in 1961, exactly zero (0) have become President. Racism at work?

You think so? I’ve never seen it.

I think you missed Cliffy’s point. He wasn’t saying that the small number of President-elects from the pool of black children born in 1961 is a sign of anti-black racism.

He was just pointing out that being elected President—which by definition is an extremely demographically rare event that only happens to a statistically insignificant minuscule fraction of any racial group—is not much use as an indicator of how prevalent anti-black racism is in daily life.

Women have become heads of government in Sri Lanka, India, Israel, Argentina, Central African Republic, United Kingdom, Bolivia, Portugal, Dominica, Norway, Philippines, Pakistan, Haiti, Lithuania, Nicaragua, France, Canada, Turkey, Rwanda, Burundi, Bulgaria, Bangladesh, Ecuador, Guyana, New Zealand, Panama, Indonesia, Senegal, São Tomé and Príncipe, Peru, Finland, Mozambique, Republic of Macedonia, Ukraine, Germany, Chile, South Korea, and Moldavia.

Obviously, sexism no longer exists in any of those places.

Source

ETA: I first remember hearing people use “Guido” as an ethnic slur* on a business trip in New Jersey (pre-Sopranos). It took me a while to figure out what they were talking about.

*I’m not even sure it was meant as a slur, since they didn’t say anything negative about the “Guidos.”

Another idiotic statement.

I’m pretty sure that was ironic. As to the OP, how adorable is that?