Nuclear nonproliferation and unavoidable hypocrisy

How many countries do you reckon Iran has intervened in during the same period?

You probably missed this, since it wasn’t really in the news or anything, but we didn’t actually invade Iraq in the first Gulf War (we attacked things in Iraq and I think we moved troops through some parts of Iraq, but we didn’t invade in any meaningful sense). Most of it was fought in that Kuwait place (I know, it’s obscure and most people don’t know where that is)…which we didn’t invade. So, I’m seeing Iraq once and Afghanistan once, unless your definition of ‘invasions’ is different than mine.

Obviously it is, since air strikes and drone strikes, etc. aren’t invasions.

Well, in the last 25 years of pissing us off we haven’t invaded them once, so I’m going to say the odds are low unless they do something spectacularly stupid. The odds of them getting an Israeli air strike because they continue to work on nuclear weapons, however, is a bit higher (maybe 25%), and it’s even possible they will scare/piss off the Europeans enough to get an air strike from them (maybe 1%). Having nuclear weapons is not going to substantially keep the tigers at bay…they have a MUCH better chance of avoiding US invasions or Israeli/US/European air strikes if they simply join the world community and play nice.

Doubtful. Because if they keep pushing on this they are going to invite the very thing they are (supposedly…I think this argument is only really used by folks trying to apologize for Iran, I think the Iranians actually have other motives for pursuing nukes) trying to prevent. While if they don’t and decide to grow up and put on their big boy pants then their odds of being attacked drop to somewhere around Belgium.

Rabbi Michael Lerner, editor of Tikkun, writes:

You left off the most interesting part:

Someone raise their hand if they think these are realistic answers to Iran’s aggression in the region.

Perhaps, very eventually. But pols usually can’t afford to deal in “very eventually.”

I commend you for your honesty in saying that the commitment of $6 trillion in taxpayer funds (2% of GDP times 20 years) could “perhaps” have its intended effect.

[shrug] “Perhaps” is all we ever needed before to spend that kind of money on war. Therefore, a proposal to spend it on peace should not have to meet even that high a standard.

Utterly irrelevant to the question on whether or not Iranian nukes would lower the risk of yet another American attack, this time on Iran.

Fair point - the first Gulf War wasn’t an invasion.

Of course, that’s no guarantee that it won’t happen in the next 25 years. Iranian nukes, however, would be a guarantee, or at least as close to one as you’re going to get.

No doubt the chance of an attack would increase in the process of getting nukes. Once built and fully functional, however, the chance would drastically decrease. So it’s tricky like that.

“Just do as we say, and maybe we won’t hurt you.”

That’s just not true, but it’s hardly worth discussion.

No, it is relevant to Iran’s behavior, and whether it would get worse if they believed they were immune from a massive counterattack for doing something stupid. I understand you don’t want to talk about that issue, but surely you must admit that it is a factor that must be taken into consideration.

(Also, please note that I was not the author of the last three quotes in your previous post, XT was.)

Ideally no nation should possess nuclear weapons, and I hope within my lifetime the international community moves to ban and destroy these terrible weapons.

The track record is good in that no nation after the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki has used it on a rival, whether U.S or the defunct USSR, or Pakistan and India.

Some nations are more responsible than others, I know about Japan and it was terrible, but I still prefer the U.S have thousands of nuclear weapons than the likes of Iran have just one.

A country of Iran’s nature should have no such weapons.

In that sense, yes, fair enough - it’s certainly relevant, and I’d be glad to talk about it.

I think Iran’s behaviour falls within what is expected from an aspiring regional power, pursuing a foreign policy of rational self-interest. It supports its Shi’a allies in Iraq, Lebanon, Syria and the Yemen. It’s an ugly business - in Syria, especially, it’s downright vile - but that’s Realpolitik for you.

With or without nukes, this policy would surely continue, slowly and surely and patiently. Iran wouldn’t suddenly do “something stupid” - the country is, as The Atlantic has argued, both thoroughly rational and distinctly “non-suicidal”:

Let me point out, by the way, that I don’t see it as a moral issue: I am certainly not claiming that Iran is somehow morally superior to the U.S.

I am simply claiming that with nukes - and mind you I’m nowhere near convinced that the Iranians pursue them - the Iranians would be spared the very real possibility of an American attack, which in turn is a very real possibility, rightly and understandably feared by the Iranians.

My apologies to the both of you, sorry about that.