Obvious things about a creative work you realize after the millionth time (OPEN SPOILERS POSSIBLE)

Not something creative but… I have a habit of trying to figure out what the different letters on the back of cars mean. Only recently did I realize what the A in Audi A4, A6, and A8 stands for. Duh!:smack:

Maybe you’re joking but I thought it was originally called Brown Skinned Girl. How does that work?

I used to watch Robocop a whole lot growing up, and I don’t think I realized the significance of the old man firing Dick Jones at the end until I had been watching it for a few years. It’s obvious in retrospect, but I think I initially thought it was just some kind of smartass 80s movie one-liner, and not the means by which Robocop could override his internal directives.

I’ve liked Bob Dylan’s Oscar-winning (from the Wonder Boys soundtrack) song “Things Have Changed” for a long time. But it wasn’t until I had it on my iPod, and paid attention to the time index, that I realized he finishes the line “The next sixty seconds could be like an eternity” exactly one minute before the end of the song. I think that’s cool.

Maybe we’re being whooshed, but there’s nothing in the lyrics that remotely suggests this. Young love, yes. Making love, yes. Anal sex? No.

Sometimes brown eyes are just brown eyes.

(And what sexual connotations do you get from CSN’s “Suite: Judy Blue Eyes;” Bob Welch’s “Ebony Eyes;” Jewel’s “Violet Eyes;” or Sugarloaf’s “Green-Eyed Lady?”)

You got me here. Is it “Audi?”

Okay, here’s one: my parents have a slew of 45 singles from back in the day. I remember some were James Brown, and occasionally a 45 would have “Part I” of a song on it.

I was listening to a BBC documentary about the history of recorded music, where the commentator remarked that most songs are in the 3-4 minute range because that’s as much that would fit on a 45…

And then I was listening to the Jackson 5’s “I Am Love Pt 1 & 2” and realized the song was 7 plus minutes long - too long to fit on one side of a 45, hence why there was two parts to it.

I’ve been puzzling over this for most of my life and just figured it out… I’m 37.

Actually, there is a connotation in ‘Brown Eyed’. Brown Eyed Girl, Brown Eyed Handsome Man?

They’re black.

I had the opposite “revelation.” I assumed he was called E.T. because Eliot wanted to name him after himself. Then I found out that aliens are called extra terrestrials.

I also didn’t realize that about Rosemary’s Baby until painfully too late.

Survivor’s “Eye of the Tiger”?

Watching Sanford & Son nowadays I realize that probably 2/3 of the jokes flew right over my head when I watched it as a kid.

Young Frankenstein: In Inspector Kemp’s first scene at the town meeting, he breathes on his monocle, polishes it on his jacket, and then puts it on the eye that has an eyepatch on it.

And I think there a later scene where the torch-bearing mob is out looking for the monster and he puts a finger to his mouth to shoosh them that it’s his left arm that’s wooden. (All the other times it’s his right.) I’ll have to see it again to confirm that. The eyepatch probably changes sides, too.

Caddyshack: There’s a scene where Ty and Lacey are doing Tequila shots. Lacey drinks the tequila, and 30 seconds later (in an unbroken camera shot) she’s chewing gum and blows a bubble.

Titanic - Young Rose and Jack fantasized about riding roller coasters in California and riding horseback on the beach. At the very end of the movie, there are shots of her pictures showing her doing those things by herself after she survived the wreck and abandoned her old life.

I have a tendancy to point out (as casually as possible) the Fourth Directive when watching the movie with neophytes. Because, yeah, if you miss that, the ending goes from “Woah, the Old Man kicked some ass!” to…yeah, “What? Hoo-hoo, you’re fired…and he FIRES his gun!”

I Heart Robocop.

But, dammit, there was room for both of them on that door! Rose, you selfish bitch!

:smiley:

Fan of Too Much Coffee Man?

Just thought of one. When I was I kid I spent endless amounts of time trying to figure out how to pronounce the apostrophes in J’onn J’onzz, Manhunter from Mars. Juh-honnn Jun-own-zezzz?

That was back when the audience for comic books was under ten, and they wrote at the right level for them. A Martian! Named J’onn J’onzz! Neat-o!

Scarecrow wants a brain…yet he’s the smartest guy in the group who comes up with all the ideas.
Tinman wants a heart, but he’s a sentimental lug.
Cowardly lion wants courage, and he’s the toughest SOB there.

Duh.

Damn you. Up until your post this had been one of my favorite songs.

I remember being really impressed by this the first time I heard it. Especially WRT to the Scarecrow. His great ideas really do stand out when I look back.

Another one. I was listening to the Jackson 5’s “The Love You Save” - the title, of course, is a takeoff of the safety slogan “The Life You Save May Be Your Own.” But I just noticed these lyrics:

So… Isaac (Newton), Benjy (Franklin), Alexander (Graham Bell), and Christopher (Columbus), all referencing their famous “inventions.” Clever bit of wordplay, and I’ve listened to that song all my life…