Obvious things about real life you realize after the millionth time

No, they both mean “Gift of God” – a logical name for a child, and one that appears in many other variations. “Godiva” means the same thing (“Godiva” = “God Gifu” = God Gift). “Apollodorus” means “Gift of Apollo”, and so on.

See here, for instance: Theodore - Baby Name Meaning, Origin, and Popularity | Nameberry
“Ramses” = “Ra Musa” = Child of Ra, and Thuthmose = “Thoth Musa” = “child of Thoth”. “Moses” appears to be such an Egyptian theophorus name with the god’s name shorn off. See Freud’s Moses and Monotheism

Is this where I can blow people’s minds with a) the arrow on your fuel gauge and b) the little tabs on the aluminum foil box?

That little green plastic thingy that they stick in the cover of your Starbucks coffee cup is a plug to keep coffee from spilling out when you’re carrying it to <wherever>. :smack: It took me forever to figure this out. I couldn’t imagine why they would give you a way-too-short stirrer. I mean, it’s also a sort-of stirrer, but it doesn’t reach to the bottom of the cup, which is where particulates that need stirring wind up residing.

That you can have RED jalapenos. You just let the green ones stay on the vine until they ripen. The reason you don’t see those is that they do NOT transport or keep well.

They are SO much better IMO. And taste is quite different. Think green bell pepper vs red bell pepper.

I know guy that sells at the farmers market. I just asked him to let some green ones turn red and I’d buy em.

Split those babies, roast em in the oven, blend with just enough vinegar to make a slurry, maybe throw in some garlic and or cumin, a bit of salt and pepper and you have one damn fine hot sauce.

Also, from a young age I’ve always been aware that you die. Not that other people aren’t but I think most kinda try to put it out of their mind or pretend it doesn’t happen on some level. But not me.

However, it wasn’t till much later that I it really hit me that there was an obvious corollary to that. Everything you do will have a last time you do it. Every damn good pizza, sunset, hike, or good belly laugh might be your last. And at some point every one of those things WILL be the last one.

It took me about 10 years to figure out how Eminem got his name, despite knowing all along that his real name is Marshall Mathers.

That line in that rather odd and haunting song…“knights in white satan…never reaching the end…waaaaaaa waaaaa”.

I pictured something like Knights, you know dressed in white satin, on a very long ride…kinda like upscale KKK members going cross country or something.
That it referred to nocturnal recreational activities I came to realize WAY later than I should have :smack:

Growing up along the Pacific Coast I was in college before I realized zip codes can start out with a digit other than 9.

Enjoy every sandwich.

Thanks for enlightening me, still hadn’t dawned on me.

I didn’t know either of these things (and I am olive complected!).

You can find them in dried form at the local Mercado, though. The “spice” in shopping for peppers is that they have different names depending not only on their variety but also whether they’re fresh or dried! For example, a dried jalopeno is called a chipotle pepper!

I learned several things about interstate highways a few years ago.

Even numbered interstates run east-west, while odd numbered ones run north-south.

A three digit interstate number is connected to the two digit one. (526 in Charleston is connected to the 26.) If it starts with an even number it will eventually meet back up to the interstate, if it starts with an odd number it just branches off and won’t connect back. So if you’re on I-95 going through Jacksonville and want to skip the traffic, hop on I-295 (but not I-795.)

The little exit sign on top of the big signs indicates which side of the road the exit is on. So Exit 270 is flush left with the Kirkman exit, which means the exit will be on the left side of the highway.

The white line on the highway is ALWAYS on your right side. If you see it on the left, you’re going the wrong way.:eek:

Yep. As a pepper fan I must admit that little nugget of knowledge escaped me for longer than it should have as well.

Only if the jalapeno is smoked as well as dried, verdad?

Yes! I am forever in your debt for both of those pieces of knowledge. But I’ll let you do the honors.

You can measure things that are hard to get into a measuring cup (like crisco or peanut butter) by putting it in a bigger measuring cup of water and just measuring the water displacement

Or spraying the measuring cup with Pam so it slides out easier. I do this with honey and molasses too.

Wow! You’ve finally solved 48.90 years of wondering why some skin tones are thought of as khaki-greenish.

Thank you, I can now die in peace.

I actually learned about the fuel gauge thing last year on The Dope. It’s changed my life.

What’s the foil box revelation?