Odd beer flavorings - that weren't bad

I like the idea of making beer with sharper, non-sweet flavors. Once in a while, a fruit-tinged beer can be pretty good, but I tend to like IPAs and other hoppy beers, and I can see a garlic or rosemary kind of beer being good once in a while. I have had the chile beer psycat mentioned and liked it.

Huh, I actually liked their watermelon too. Thought it was very subtle and refreshing.

I toured Goose Island and had an experimental dunkelweiss that smelled of pure banana bread; yes I know that’s a characteristic yeast scent, but I mean no kidding huge scent. The flavor was great, not cloying or anything.

I once tasted a homebrewed cranberry beer that was delicious. It was more tart than sweet.

Someone on here was making an Oreo beer, but as far as I know, they never updated us on how it went.

Luvs me the Pyramid Apricot Hefe!

Also the Rogue Chocolate Stout and the Coeur d’Alene Brewing Huckleberry Ale.

I definitely can see it with a good Filet. I am a little curious as to whether the onion flavor was added or it was part of the brewing process.

I had this last week! Made by, I believe, York Brewing. Claiming to be an authentic colonial recipe, it used spruce twigs & tips and molasses. Very tasty indeed, but I doubt I’d have more than one a night. A good first beer of the evening. Check around at your local “we have 1,000 beers” shop.

He chopped the tomatoes and basil for his last batch at my store!
Oh, and you can taste the spices you just have to wait. I found that it REALLY opens up if you let it warm up for a few minutes.

Springboard by New Belgium is a lovely beer made with goji berries and other stuff.

I love it and I don’t particularly care for beer.

I had an Oregon honey beer and it was pretty decent, though I’m not sure I really tasted the honey.

It was tasty after it aged a few months. Definitely had some Oreo flavor, but as predicted, it did not hold a head.

I did update it, but it didn’t garner much attention. here

This sounds like Youngs, and it is my celebratory beer.

An onion beer or a pizza beer sounds intriguing.

I’ve had many, many different types. Here are some of my favorites:

1. New Glarus Raspberry Tart and Belgian Red. The Belgian Red is cherry flavored–and is my favorite.

2. Cantillon Blabaer Lambic. Blueberry flavored lambic. Very sour with just hints of blueberry. Upland Brewing out of Indiana makes several very good, flavored lambics–including their own blueberry as well as Raspberry, Blackberry and Strawberry.

3. Rodenbach Alexander. Cherry flavored, tart, incredibly good. Not produced any longer though–and very tough to find.

4. Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock. Tastes like a caramel covered raspberry.

5. 3 Fonteinen Schaerbeekse Kriek. Wonderful Cherry flavored beer.

6. New Belgium Lips of Faith. This was a sour peach ale that was to die for. No longer produced.

7. Foothills Sexual Chocolate Imperial Stout. By far the best chocolate stout made in the world! I’ve had lots of good chocolate stouts–but this one is the most flavorful and balanced.

8. Southampton Cuvee des Fleurs: A special Saison-style brew lightly flavored with a blend of edible flowers including English Lavender (L. angustifolia), Roman chamomile (A. nobilis), Marigold (C. officinalis), Dog Rose (R. canina) and of course, H. lupulus. (description partially extracted from their website).

9. Founders Bourbon Maple Porter. This was a tap only special from Founders. Incredibly thick and rich maple flavor with an aftertaste of bourbon. Wow!

10. Two Brothers Cane and Ebel. A beer made with Thai palm sugar and rye malt. One of the most unique and flavorful beers I’ve ever tasted.

Those are some of my favorites, but I’ve had others including: chili pepper, banana bread, apricot, currant, beers brewed with nuts, spices and everything in between.

Hooray Beer!

Saranac has a seasonal chocolate amber lager, a nice change from the chocolate stouts already mentioned.

Spruce beer is made by Yards in Philadelphia, using a recipe credited to Benjamin Franklin. It’s part of their “Ales of the Revolution” series, made in partnership with City Tavern restaurant; all three are worth trying.

I’ve had an apple-flavored lambic beer from Belgium that was delicious, and a heather ale (flavored with heather blossoms) from Scotland that wasn’t.