Odd sayings

WAG but, Lissa, could the pudding usage of dick be the provenance of Grandma’s expression?

Phrase etymology:

http://www.wordorigins.org/

http://www.libraryspot.com/dictionaries/etymologydictionaries.htm

http://www.fun-with-words.com/etym_phrases.html

GOOGLE “phrase etymology” for more sites.

[QUOTE=chowder]
Lissa I never heard that expression but I have heard “Face like a blind cobblers thumb” or Face like a Slaters Nailbag" or even “Face like a sack full of Hammers”
[/QUOTE]

My personal favorite is “Face like a pitbull licking piss off a thistle”.

[QUOTE=11811]
Or the American redneck version “about”

Heard someone say to his misbehaving dog, “Dog, you’re about a mother******, ain’t ya?”

See also, Doug Sahm’s “She’s About A Mover”
[/QUOTE]

Yep, see it Here folks.

“I’ll whup you upside the head, I will.”

…thus speaketh a 'Merkin. We knows how to speak proper English, we does.

You should’ve named this thread, “Confusing Yanks For Fun And Profit.”

Just as a precaution, I’m not the stereotypical American gun-nut bible-thumping hillbilly imbecile from your fancy british TV shows. I hate rednecks with a passion.

Adding to the mix: What are some af the worst derogatory slangs for “American” that you guys know? Gimme your best shot. :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Valgard]
My personal favorite is “Face like a pitbull licking piss off a thistle”.
[/QUOTE]

…while chewing a wasp

…and Bob’s yer uncle

[QUOTE=Civil Guy]
“I’ll whup you upside the head, I will.”

…thus speaketh a 'Merkin. We knows how to speak proper English, we does.
[/QUOTE]

Or better yet: "I’ll whup you upside yo head with a 2 X 4 'bin soaked for 6 months in a barrel of used motor oil, heah? :stuck_out_tongue: