Odysseus bow

This is the first I’ve heard that the Iliad and the Odyssey were created 1,000 years apart from one another. No mention of this gap was made was made the multiple times I had to read the two in high school and college. Do you happen to have a cite to support your claim?

I too am curious about this. I thought scholars generally put the writing of both these works as we now know them in the eighth or seventh century BCE. I know there have been debates about this, and different sources will move the composition of the Iliad and Odyssey forward or back some, but I’ve never heard or read anything suggesting a thousand year gap between creation of these two texts. Perhaps there was a typo, or I misread something?

Sorry. I’m not trying to stir things up, but the quoted words above just struck me pretty hard.

Anyway, I agree with **Simplicio **and **Shodan **about Odysseus being big and strong with regard to his bow-stringing ability.

Have a good day.

Yeah, which he wouldn’t. From what I can tell, everyone would consider it a matter of course that the hero would not be bound to be faithful to his wife.

He was always my favorite grandson.

Another thought - Odysseus may not be the strongest hero of the Trojan war, and he may have made his reputation for his cunning, but the least powerful hero of the Trojan war is going to be mightier than an normal man, and godlike in comparison to the collection of leeches in human form that the suitors represent.

Recurve bows should certainly have been familiar to any archer, since there are numerous depictions of them in art from around that time. Here’s a painting from the 6th century BC of Herakles using one: http://www.theoi.com/Gallery/L3.6.html

For some reason, I always thought that the bow was “blessed” (or fashioned) by Athena, and no one could use it unless they had her favor. Odysseus was her favorite throughout the Odyssey.

But now I can’t find any evidence of such a theory.

Sorry, I made a mistake. It’s a hundred years (about) that the major opinion dates them, though it’s not absolutley sure.

With one notable exception: Hector, the Trojan enemy, is an affectionate husband, as well as a doting father, and he shows respect for women- even for Helen, whom he might (reasonably) blame for causing the whole bloody war.

Wouldn’t it be a lot more reasonable for him to blame Paris?

Seems like the extreme age of Odysseus’s dog would have been one of the more remarkable aspects of the story.