% of members to lose $ due to this hac k?

So wait, wait, the negative part of that confidence interval…is there a chance someone might credit my account?

Uh, no, that’s why you use 70 unique passwords. So you DON’T have to do that. If your SDMB login gets stolen then you don’t have to worry about changing any others because all the others are unique.

If you use the same pass for 70 sites and one of them gets hacked THEN you have to go change the passwords for 70 sites.

If I don’t know about passwords, who would? :cool:

Ditto this. My password manager is a physical manila folder containing a separate sheet of paper for each of my on-line accounts, with login name, password, security questions, and some other notes I might find pertinent. The folder is stored in the midst of a bunch of other folders with other unrelated stuff, and not in the immediate vicinity of my computer. Like Antigen, I’m not terribly concerned about anyone gaining physical access to that folder.

No way I’m going to memorize all those names and passwords, and I have far fewer than 70 of them!

Oops. I was hoping no one would notice that…
So, yes, my prediction is that .0001% of
Dopers will make money on this deal!
:D:smack::slight_smile:

OMG! I’d better quick put my password back the way it was so I can be one of those .0001%!!

That’s certainly what I do, but I’ve been online for 20 years, and have managed to navigate my way into fairly well-reasoned behaviour. 90% of the rest of the world have never heard of password managers and can’t even manage to recall their sister’s birthday, let alone three or more different passwords made up of random characters.

We need a better system; either more reliable security, or an education campaign for the average user. Preferably both.

Which drawer? (just curious)
mmm

I have an electronic version - a password-protected spreadsheet that contains all the others. It contains over 200 now. I do use duplicates, according to the level of importance. So if anyone has got my SDMB user/password combo, they will be able to get into other sites - but only similarly trivial ones with no risk of financial consequence.