Often proposed solutions to make baseball more "exciting" that could unintentionally backfire

You’re inventing technology that already exists and they don’t even need those sensors. It’s done with radars and cameras. It’s called STatcast - it replaced a system called Pitchf/x a few years ago - and it’s ludicrously accurate. It is not absolutely perfect, but it makes the greatest ump who ever lived look like Stevie Wonder. No human could be as accurate.

I suppose the umpire could wear something akin to Google Glass so only he could see the Statcast call. This would be aesthetically pleasing as there would be no visible changes to the game and an umpires physical presence would still be needed regardless.

Well, you need a home plate ump anyway. Checked swings have no physical definition, and there are a variety of other calls that have to be made at home plate for which there is no current technical solution.

And you know that they’re accurate how?

Replace the pitcher with an unmodified howitzer.

Count me among those who don’t see the need to speed the game up. The no-pitch intentional walk is ridiculous. Putting a batter on second base at the start of extra innings (they’re actually doing this in the Minors now) is doubly so. And clocks of any kind have no place in the game of baseball.

I’d also like to tell any batter who complains about hitting into the shift: “Learn to hit the other way.”

Get off my lawn.

Metrology is a science. They are quite open about the accuracy of the system, how it works, and where it has problems, and it’s a competitive market.

Measuring things in sports with computers is old stuff. It’s not some remarkable technical feat.

It was Blue Jays at Mariners, Aug. 3. The section I was sitting seemed to have only Jays fans, mostly who drove down from Vancouver.

I looked up the August 3 Seattle-Toronto game but unfortunately it appears MLB doesn’t keep the Statcast for past games. (You can see it live, though.)

12 strikeouts in a game is actually pretty low. The average is about 18. Zero walks is odd, but the strike percentage in the game was incredibly high, about 75%.

I’ve never heard anything bad about that day’s home plate ump, Mike Muchlinski, and if anything he is slightly inclined to be a hitters’ ump.

I work a short distance away from Safeco Field. Every time Toronto visits there’s a flood of people on the streets wearing Jays jerseys.