Oh goodie. Now we have the political sexist take on who gets to be called "Dr"

Agreed, Deth.

Yep. Holdover from what my co-workers called me when I went to work for the Coroners office for a year.

They already jokingly called me “doc” since I always had aspirin, etc in my desk (“Hey Doc, what do you have for a headache?”. So it became "Doctor Death, but since “deth” is a real welsh name somewhere in my family tree, i went for DrDeth.

However, my D&D character by that name is a real medical doctor, so there! :stuck_out_tongue:

Fair. Although to be clear I was just kidding about agreeing with you, and was just going for the cheap joke :). I’m totally okay with folks with PhDs using their titles as they see fit, as long as they’re not being dicks about it.

It is not a hill I care to die on.

But I do get a laugh at one of my friends with a PhD in Liberal arts who always uses “Doctor” when introducing himself, only to get lots of medical questions. heheheheheheh

In his defense, apparently Epstein is concerned that “noted homophobe” will be carved on his gravestone, so perhaps he’s just trying to muddy the waters with more generalized asshattery.

No they wont do that. Now that could be burned into the grass over his grave by urine, sure.

Look, the Pubs are in a bit of a bind here. Joe Biden isn’t black, so they can’t accuse him of being born in Kenya. Jill Biden isn’t black, so they can’t make blatantly racist innuendoes. You gotta give 'em something to be hateful about, so they’re going with the “Dr” thing (and Hunter Biden’s laptop). This also works well because most of the troglodytes hold higher education in contempt.

He, on the other hand, can legitimately call himself “Durrrrrrrrr.”

I would argue that reporting on her in this context still counts as a professional setting. Any situation where you’d refer to President-elect Biden, it seems appropriate to refer to his wife as Dr (or the appropriate after titles). You’re using formal titles, after all.

I’d say she should just leave. Gave up on her when she gave her defence of Polankski: “It wasn’t rape-rape.”

This is the whole reason for the rant. When he dies, he want’s someone to care, one way or another.

I earned a PhD (mathematics) and I while I do not insist that people address me as doctor or introduce myself as such, I will correct anyone who calls me mister.

Usually that’s the end of it. Once or twice however, after being corrected, the person, who should have known better, said something along the lines of, “Ooh doctor, can you give me a diagnosis?” I typically reply to this with something along the lines of, “Your crabs have super-herpes.” That then is really the end of it.

“Noted Homophobe” is already too many letters to carve into a tombstone; there’s no way it’s getting appended to “Noted Misogynistic Homophobe”.

Just carve ASSHOLE and be done with it.

That’s “Doctor Kiddo” to you…

A neighbour in Cambridge was a doctor of medicine and a doctor of music. He never practiced as an MD.

His wife was German and in Germany he was referred to formally as Herr Doctor Doctor.

Yes, but Dr. Rice is a Republican which makes all the difference to some folks… And anyone who thinks politics isn’t involved is just fooling themselves.

Exactly. “Dr.” is an honorific, like “Mr.” and “Ms” and once someone has a Ph.D you should default refer to them as Dr. in place of any other honorific (unless they request otherwise). You shouldn’t use the honorific when you aren’t using other honorifics, but you shouldn’t substitute one honorifics for another.

In all honestly, in the intro to the article, I find “Mrs. Biden” more irritating than “kiddo”. There might be a time and place where it would be okay for someone (not this dude) to call her “kiddo”. But “Mrs. Biden” is never correct.

I think this is a great example of the Republican strategy of “hit them in their strong spot”. Community College English Professor is about the most wholesome job a woman can have, if you believe a woman can ever legitimately have an education at all. It’s something almost everyone can identify with. It’s not pretentious or abstract. It’s deeply democratic. Teaching has been “respectable” for women for 100 years.

This. With friends, family, at social functions, and yes, some of my patients, I’m Flik. Nothing wrong with that. With most of my patients and in professional settings I’m Dr. TheBlue. I’m only Mr. TheBlue when I’m dealing with people who I have no relationship with in impersonal situations, like checking into a hotel, dealing with a customer service person over the phone, etc.

ETA. The same goes for people with other doctorate level degrees. My college professors were always Dr. So and So, or Jim or Lisa if they insisted on first names. It was never Mr. or Ms. The only exception was if the instructor was a graduate student.

For anyone who didn’t click through to Riemann’s “thenewcivilrightsmovement” link, I suggest you check it out to fully understand where this idiot editorialist is coming from. Warning, it’s awful. The question is not why a hateful dipshit like this exists, because there is no shortage of hateful dipshits; the question is why he would be given ink by a supposedly reputable publication.

There is no need but there is an absolute and unquestionable right to do so. You don’t get to decide what title someone else uses.

If you earned the degree, you’re entitled to the honorific. The end.