Oh no! No underpants at work!

Maybe it’s just me; but I couldn’t care less one way or the other if people, male or female, are flashing bits of themselves like that. Why should anyone care?

Why should anyone care? Well, among other things, her sitting on the counters is unhygienic, and I certainly don’t want my food anywhere near her cooch. I don’t want my food near anyone’s genitals, to be perfectly honest.

Of course, there’s also the fact that she’s violating society’s implicit rule that we only look at one another’s genitals by mutual consent. We’re all supposed to have the right to decide whose genitals we see and under what circumstances. By standing on a stool next to me letting it all hang out, she’s taking away my ability to make that choice. Having your choices taken away is annoying.

To be fair, it’s also your choice to complain to the manager or to stop patronizing the restaurant. Hell, if that was the worst thing that they did at the coffee shop that my girlfriend goes to, I might actually go with her once in awhile.

Which of course begs the question of why I go at all…

Granted, this person in particular would probably do better working in a college bar.

It’s not just the exposing that is nasty.

As a homebrewer, you have no doubt heard the phrase…“sanitize, sanitize, sanitize!”

Would you want just anyones genitalia exposed in your brewing area?
I’m pretty sure you don’t want THAT kind of Yeast, unless you’re considering a lambic.

When I worked a summer part time job in food service, we were informed that there is a specific regulation against sitting on or leaning against the counters. This was Los Angeles of the 1970s. The management was very strict about enforcing it, as they had gotten fined out the wazzoo once before.

Check into local Health Code.
As for the rest of it, meh. Outlaw commando and only commandos will go com… ah, never mind.

This thread went in so many directions, I’m at a loss as to where to start.

I may be biased because my mgr is also a friend (I worked with her before she became one & supported her move up). To be fair, I don’t think backbone is a problem. Shit, nobody’s ever accused me of being spineless and I don’t envy being in her position. I do agree with all that sometimes you gotta bite the bullet and do whatever unpleasant thing your job requires. Heck, if nothing else, following through is supportive of her other offended employees.

Corporate culture being what it is, our managers are on relatively tight leashes and I’m guessing she may be unsure whether she’s overstepping her bounds by making rules that corporate has, for whatever reason, not made. As I said, she’s new at this and is still learning how to be an effective manager. I’ve suggested she asks the appropriate questions of her boss and/or mentor.

That is definitely an issue and one that’s already been brought up. Our dress code states that unreasonably short skirts are not allowed and specifies that more than 4 inches above the knee is the unreasonable. She has pointed out that her dress just barely meets the dress code’s definition of reasonable. Still, four inches is not four inches when you’re not bending over or have your arms over your head.

They never pay you the kind of money you really deserve to deal with idiotic crap like this. Believe me! Heck, will all the extra hours she puts in, she probably makes less than we do!

Yeah, you’re not alone. She’s been told to stay off the counter. Heck, none of us fully clothed people even sit on the counter. There’s another girl that follows her around with spray cleaner and sanitizes the counter the moment CommandoGirl jumps off of it.

Knowing my boss and having seen her reaction when she was informed, I highly, highly doubt it.

Since you can’t seem to relate to the uncomfortableness of the situation, I can understand why your mind boggles. Craven stupidity, though, is not exactly how I’d assess the situation. It’s more like dumbfounded. I’ve had the conversation with her about the underpants thing because she chose to tell something I didn’t know and really didn’t want to know. It seems she’s concerned that the customers (older men) who know about her particular choice of unattire know because they witnessed it as a opposed to being told. I told her I thought that was a distinct possibility. As creeped out as she seemed to be, it did nothing to change her ways. So, I don’t think that my beating her upside the head with a clue-by-four is going to have any effect whatsoever.

At the risk of grossing you out even further, I’d venture to guess that the answer is “no.” Really, I don’t want to be able to confirm this though.

She is very popular with our customers, but I thought it was due to her effervescent personality. Although it wouldn’t surprise me if our two regs who know come in more because of it.

CrazedCatLady, I couldn’t agree with you more. NorwegianBlue, ewwwww! Do I know you? :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for all the responses. I’ll let you know how it pans out.

Dinner and a show can be a very effective selling technique.

I sell sunglasses to middle-aged wealthy women, so I have to show a bit of skin every now and again.

Of course, I limit my shows to rolling up my shirtsleeves. Looks odd when a fella wears a midriff-baring shirt or a miniskirt, you see.

Heh. That’s nuthin’.

When I was a manager I had to address the following:

1. Employee who never showered and came to work reeking of urine. So much so that the chair she sat in for her 4 hour shift could not be used for the next shift. I got to tell her that she, as a condition of her employment, had to improve her personal hygiene. And that, while I comisserated with the fact that since since had a wooden leg showering was difficult, nonetheless it had to be done.

2. Telling a female employee that she did, in fact, have to wear a bra to work. (I’m female, and she was not un-buxom). Fortunately, I didn’t have to have to explain why this was required.

3. Explaining to a gay male subordinate that, although I personally championed his choice to spend his free time dressed in dresses, that he was not, unfortunately, allowed to display pictures of himself thusly attired at the workplace.

4. Lastly, I had to referee a dispute between this same employee and another male employee after their affair fell apart. Normally, personal lives are none of my business, but the fact that the second - er - member of this duo was an otherwise homophobic hyperstraight male, I felt splitting them up was the best course.

Panties-schmanties.

I’m thinking this is so not a problem that needs fixing. And as far as the counter-sitting goes, according to Penn & Teller’s Bullshit!, the ass is cleaner than the hands and face.

I agree, but imagine the marketing possibilities!

I thought about that too, but on BS they only tested an inch away from the crack. When this waitress is sitting on the counter, I’d imagine there’s some “spreading”, and the possibility full-on anus/vagina contact with the counter.

Sorry to get off-topic, but why would there be a rule against this? I assume other employees are allowed to show personal photos.

Chula, I’d guess the photo would be verboten because it would cause a disruption in the workplace. I mean, other people probably aren’t allowed to display pictures of themselves or their adult family members naked, or holding their pet dog up by the ears, anything else that’s going to cause a stir.

Sounds like your “manager” isn’t managing anything. Health code violations aside, your cafe does not have a permit to display female nudity, no matter how unintentional. A woman can be a flasher just the same as a man. Some woman might see this behavior and report it, and when the authorities ask the manager what she did about it she’d say “…but the dress code says…” Thats bullshit, the girl is not legally allowed to behave this way, flashing her genitalia to the patrons would not be looked upon kindly by a female judge. Your manager need to grow a spine and give the girl an ultimatum. Unless it’s worth losing her job over.

That said, if it were I that witnessed such a thing, I’d need several moths of research in order to bolster my case.

That was it, exactly. I guess it was too “controversial”. It was really ridiculous.

I don’t see the problem then :confused:

Gentlemen, I believe we have a location for a DopeFest! :smiley:

I seriously need to visit this place. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmmm, where you live do girl tend to lift the behind of their skirt and have panties|ass on the surface where they are sitting?? No? So what’s the deal here? She still has her (short) skirt under her ass, no?

Anyway, my biggest problem would be to find pubes everywhere so…

Is she shaven?

(…I need to feed the fishes… :D)

Short skirts lift up when the person wearing it sits down. Not always, but I wouldn’t bet on it not happening.