Oh noes! A 25 year old girl is having an abortion. Better notify her parents!

Well, once we put her in jail for doing that, she shouldn’t have any babies.

It doesn’t really matter anyway; any parental notification requirement that doesn’t provide for an alternative route (typically requiring the child to get a judge’s approval) is almost certain to be struck down as unconstitutional.

I’ve seen the same kind of blurring of age distinctions in other contexts recently - articles describing 23-year old gang members as “children”, etc. There does seem to be a trend in this country of extending childhood and adolescence to ridiculous extremes.

In CA’s case, it did. But on what basis do you make the statement that it would be unconstitutional? Children do not have the same rights as adults, across the board. And we’re talking about girls that might be as young as 12. And. we’re talking about the present SCOTUS, right?

Thanks DianaG. I wonder how many people reading that article will think “75% of all abortions are performed on girls between the ages of 12 and 15.” Which would be a startling epidemic.

Because SCOTUS has (reasonably enough) noted that a child reporting an unwanted pregnancy to her parent might be subject to physical or emotional abuse in response in some cases. Akron v. Akron Center for Reproductive Health, 462 U.S. 416 (1983):

ETA: Difficult to say whether the current Court would uphold this precedent, but it’s fairly well established and the previous (2005) iteration of SCOTUS upheld it in a New Hampshire case, IIRC.

That concerns parental consent. The statistic noted above was for parental notification. Big difference.

That’s true, but you said you didn’t know if the CA initiative was for parental consent or parental notification.

Notification requirements are currently not considered unconstitutional, as you say.

In theory, perhaps. In practice, not so much.

In jurisprudence. Not so much in real life, IOW.

The point I raised above - that minors can be subject to abuse as a result of informing their parents of unwanted pregnancies - is always cited in amicus briefs on these cases, and usually by the minor or Planned Parenthood or whoever (in connection with the “health of the mother” concept), and always studiously ignored by the Court.

Another cite

Anyone else think it is funny that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report pregnancy rates?

-Otanx

I know you’re kidding, but it’s very germane to infant mortality and infant diseases and stuff like that. There all sorts of things pregnant women and foetuses can catch that nobody else can, too.

My 23-yr-old daughter is trying to get financial aid for college. I have to fill out forms demonstrating how my income should not be taken into account in the decision making. I asked the lady, “She’s 23, is not my dependent, and moved out. By her age I had graduated and was already married a year. Why on earth would you think it’s my responsibility to continue paying for her schooling?”

“It’s a federal law to consider the parents’ income until the student is 24.”

“Huh? Why?”

“Because many students don’t graduate after only four years.”

“Well, yeah, but since she went to a junior college for five years without graduating… Whatever. Send me the form.”

Haven’t heard from the harpies at Concerned Women for America in quite a while. The group was founded by Beverly LaHaye to fight the Equal Rights Amendment. Beverly’s hubbie is co-author of the Left Behind books; they met at Bob Jones U…

The group is against feminism, gay rights, the teaching of Evolution, etc.

And they were pioneers in warning us about The War on Christmas!

This is why I haven’t been able to go to grad school. My parents paid my way through college, but wouldn’t pay for grad school, and I can’t get financial aid because they make too much money on paper.

Of course, thanks to the credit crunch, they are losing money hand over fist right now, but of course I’m old enough now anyway.