Ohio dopers: I need your help!

So, it’s highly likely that I’ll be moving to Youngstown within, say, six weeks.
I know a little about the area, but the main thing that I’m going to need is help with is locating an apartment that accepts cats (2 of them, both declawed, about 3.5 years old). I don’t know yet what my budget will be for rent, though I’m pretty sure that I don’t want to spend more than around $600, regardless of salary - and if I can get away with less, I’d be happier still.
So, any Youngstown area dopers out there want to give me some advice?
Who’s there, anyway?

Yikes… almost three hours and no replies? Sure you want to go to Youngstown?

Actually, Youngstown doesn’t exist. It used to, but it was erased from the map when the last steel jobs left Ohio.

I can’t believe you fell for the “come to Youngstown” scam. :smiley:

If you’ll be around I’m throwing a party for the Oh-Dopers on August 21. I’m in Marietta south of Youngstown.

Please come if you can. We’ll welcome you aboard.

Do you actually expect people to admit they live in Youngstown?

Ok, now, we’ve had the Traficant and Youngstown comments, but I’m seriously going to need advice for this move. So if there’s anyone out there who doesn’t have smartalecky comments (I know, if you didn’t, you wouldn’t be Dopers :wink: ), that’d be great.
Jonathan Chance, I’m not going to be able to be up there by then - if I was, I’d make a point of showing, just so I could start meeting some folks. I’ll check out the other thread though - just in case I’m up that way looking for an apartment and get finished early enough to stop by on my way back south.

Sorry, I’m not real familiar with Youngstown, but I wanted to say welcome to Ohio :slight_smile: It’s pretty in the fall.

So, Lsura, should we infer you found a job? Congrats!

Sorry, I only know Akron.

I’ve known a number of people who moved from Youngstown. But I’ve never heard of someone moving to Youngstown.

Never mind me.

My initial reaction was “bite me”. :wink:
However, I’ve heard that before about Youngstown. BUT, I’m going anyway, so that’s the way it is, and I have to find an apartment.

Youngstown really isn’t that bad (IIRC; it’s been awhile since I’ve been there). It’s a typical post-industrial town, quite depressed in a Detroit kind of way. But the good news is that it’s small (under 100,000), and there are quite a number of nice little towns not too far away. Also, there is culture there. There’s a university, and a symphony (I assume it still exists).

I don’t know doodley about COL there, but judging from this link, it shouldn’t be too hard to get a place in your price range.

Details later. All is currently unofficial, so I won’t say where (beyond the town) or exactly what until it becomes official. Things can still fall through - but I’ll have a celebration at the point that it does become official (assuming no problems).