Ok, I give up. You are out of my life forever. (Long)

You weren’t offended that he wanted you to lie to his wife but now you’re all bent because he blew you off for lunch?

You never had a friendship with him so that’s no loss. You should apologize to his wife for helping him cheat, though. That was just as inappropriate for you as it was for him.

andymurph, I’ve noticed that as well. The way my life worked out, I moved a lot in my teens and early twenties, and I just don’t have the nature to keep in touch long-distance, so I have lost all my friends of my childhood, and I just haven’t made any new ones to replace them. I’ve wondered on occasion if it’s me, but I’m friendly enough, and always make new friends when I start new jobs and such; they just don’t turn into close friends very easily anymore.

Jim has a couple of fairly close friends, but they are all people he went to school with (at one level or another) - he doesn’t have any adult-onset friends either. I guess it’s just the way of things as an adult.

Aries, I feel for you. I’ve been in this situation a few times, where a friend crossed the line one too many times and I had to re-think the whole friendship. My usual response in situations like this is to let this friend come to me in the future; I can still be friends with them, but I won’t make any effort any longer. I won’t call them, I won’t make arrangements for them, and I won’t wait for them. Sometimes, this new level of friendship works just fine. Other times, I never see them again, and it really isn’t a big loss.

I could add a great deal to this thread when it comes to friendships in which you give more than you get (it has happened to me several times) but I won’t bore anyone with the mundane details. Every time it happened to me I thought I was being overly sensitive. I was made to feel that way or as if I was at fault for whatever reason.

It hurts when this happens because you truly care about the person only to be confronted with blatant proof the friend doesn’t care as much about you.

There are so many selfish people in the world. But there are lot of good, caring people too. People who are worth your time and the care you give to them.

Don’t let this ass stop you from being a nice person, Aries. You obviously have a lot to offer in a friendship and many people would be honored to be considered your friend.

I’ve thought about this much. I had many friends as a child and a solid group up through college.

Life was tough on my friends and I for awhile. We were close but were not the most mentally stable group in the world. :smiley: LIfe was particularly hard on my three closest friends of all. One died, probably suicide, one went mentally bonkers and the other dropped out of touch. I lost many other friends through marriage and we just don’t talk anymore.

This puts me in the same situation as you Featherlou in that I currently have NO close friends. For someone use to many to go to none is distressing. I made 2 friends that looked true and both eventually made passes at my wife… :frowning:

It sucks.

For a long time I thought it was me. It still probably is partly. However, two things happened a few years ago that made me rethink.

One, I lost my job and had to temp for awhile to make ends meet. I ended up in a very-low end job. Most people around me were in similiar straights. BAM! Friendships started forming. It was like old times…I could feel strong friendship bonds developing. Fortunately (or unfortunately…) I landed a good job about 4 weeks later. It made me think that if we are too comfortable and in control it thwarts friendship forming. Put into discomfort and little control with uncertainty and people may need more friends.

Discomfort/little control/uncertainty are experienced much as a young adult. Maybe this has more of an impact than new/lack of experiences?