Ok, so, you know the "20 items or less" line at Wal-Mart?

I’m sorry Madam, we cannot ring up your purchases. The camera dept doesn’t have a scale to weigh your bananas, grapes and oranges. :wally

Oh, yes, the people who actually are kind enough to keep their flavors separate and neatly stacked and easily counted. So few, so far between…

No, the Gatorade was just tossed into the cart in a mass jumble. To make things even more exciting, it wasn’t horrible busy that night, and it would have actually been faster for the customer to go stand in line behind two or three other people in one of the regular lanes than to push his cart back and forth between the express lanes and insist that the cashiers ring up his cartload.

(My emphasis.)
[/QUOTE]

Hmm, interesting. So that usage would actually be correct in that context. Okay, I sit corrected. Go ahead, sign makers of the world - Eight items or less it is!

Yet another reason “Justifiable Homicide” is a valid defense. (in regard to the concept of asshats, not any responses thus far) :slight_smile:

I just wanted to add Wegmans in Rochester to the list of stores with "7 items or fewer, " due to the pestering of my old grammar professor.

…who would point out that the sentence as it is written indicates that he pestered me into posting the last comment. In fact, he wrote letters to the grocery stores for years asking them to change their signs.