OK, what would you name 2003 UB313 (Xena)?

[QUOTE=WhyNot]
Tapped out? Greco-Roman mythology is nowhere near tapped out! How 'bout getting some more Goddesses in there, for one! (Poor Venus, sharing the heavens with a bunch of crazy brothers, fathers and great-grandfathers.)

Aurora, Bellona, Minerva, and Diana would be lovely, as would Hestia, Hera, Athena and Artemis if we look to the Greek names. But I think those should be kept in reserve for planets, not other celestial bodies.

How 'bout Alecto? She was a Titan, not a God, formed from the spilled blood of Uranus when Cronus (Saturn) killed him. And it sounds planetish.
[/QUOTE]
All of these are good suggestions, but Xena is perfectly fine with me, and not just because I love the show. It does sound planetlike. Huggy Bear or Boss Hogg? Not so much.

[QUOTE=foolsguinea]
Well, it’s not going to be Proserpina, get over it.
[/QUOTE]

Why not? That name’s not taken yet, is it?

[QUOTE=WhyNot]
Tapped out? Greco-Roman mythology is nowhere near tapped out! How 'bout getting some more Goddesses in there, for one! (Poor Venus, sharing the heavens with a bunch of crazy brothers, fathers and great-grandfathers.)

Aurora, Bellona, Minerva, and Diana would be lovely, as would Hestia, Hera, Athena and Artemis if we look to the Greek names. But I think those should be kept in reserve for planets, not other celestial bodies.

How 'bout Alecto? She was a Titan, not a God, formed from the spilled blood of Uranus when Cronus (Saturn) killed him. And it sounds planetish.
[/QUOTE]

Asteroid namers took almost all the Greek / Roman names:

(94) Aurora
(28) Bellona
(93) Minerva
(78) Diana
(46) Hestia
(103) Hera
(881) Athene
(105) Artemis
(465) Alekto
(26) Proserpina

Not that there can’t be duplicates (I know there are some moon / asteroid duplicates)

http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/lists/MPNames.html

Brian

[QUOTE=WhyNot]
How 'bout Alecto? She was a Titan, not a God, formed from the spilled blood of Uranus when Cronus (Saturn) killed him. And it sounds planetish.
[/QUOTE]
It sounds like a made-up name for a car. :slight_smile:

Ymir, Lord of the Frost Giants, would seem appropriate, for a thing so cold, dark & remote.

The Norse deserve something.

I vote for Quetzlcoatl. Or Bob.

2003 UB313? How about Iwerks, then?

(2003 U) means it was discovered in the later half of october of 2003
(A = 1/2 Januray, B= second half of january, etc. I being skipped )
(B[sub]313[/sub] means It was the (25*313 + 2) = 7827th object discovered in that time period.

(I think I did it right)

Brian

Red

Either “Artemis” or “Atalanta,” and rename it’s moon Sappho. There, it’s just like taking a public domain character, and “reimagining” it to the spitting image of another, more popular character that you don’t own the rights to, but want to cash in on. Just like Stephen Sommers, or 40% of all anime produced after 1995. :smiley:

Come on, tell me that wouldn’t be a good plan.

The Planet of the Apes.

Keep it simple for all the poor kids in the future that have to learn this. Two. We can name the next one Three.

Aftermath, or Apocalypse and we can tell the kids that’s what we can have the Earth looking like in a couple minutes.

[QUOTE=Frank]
I’m fine with Xena.
[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I don’t get the fixation with names from Greek and Roman mythology. They’re just made-up names for characters who never existed. Just like Xena. The only difference is that the greek and Roman names have been around longer.

[QUOTE=dogbutler]
Since it would be the tenth planet, Mondas.
[/QUOTE]

That works for me! I was trying to remember the name of the Tenth Planet.

[QUOTE=Quartz]
What’s wrong with just using 2003 UB313?
[/QUOTE]
Nothing. If it isn’t a planet anyway, why bother wasting a name on it?

[QUOTE=ElvisL1ves]
Nothing. If it isn’t a planet anyway, why bother wasting a name on it?
[/QUOTE]

By that logic:

“Well, I was born on Earth, but we moved when I was just a toddler, and I grew up on Earth–I don’t even remember living on Earth as a baby, although I went back there to go to college. After college, I moved to Earth for several years, then moved back to Earth, where I live now.”
And I still say we should name it (whatever “it” is) Paradise.

[QUOTE=Q.E.D.]
Ditto. I don’t get the fixation with names from Greek and Roman mythology. They’re just made-up names for characters who never existed. Just like Xena. The only difference is that the greek and Roman names have been around longer.
[/QUOTE]
Well, exactly. They have a sense of history, world culture and lore behind them which, to me anyway, makes them more suitable for the honor of naming a planet than a TV show character. Well, that and most of them were actually venerated as deities. If people still know who Xena was in 3995 AD, we can revisit the issue :wink:

I like the idea of using other mythologies because it opens up more of the world’s history and culture to people who may wonder why that planet (or moon, asteroid, etc) is named Sedna or Zaria or Chasca or whoever. And I think it shows respect and acknowledgement for those cultures that came before us (although I know this wasn’t the basis of the Greco-Roman system). Anyway, it sits better with me than names from a TV show from ten years ago. Just my opinion.

How can there be any debate here?! The obvious choice is Yuggoth!