Old-Style Anti-Depressant vs. Fancy SNRI

Heh, there was certainly a point in the not so distant past when I’d have probably taken that offer!

I have some friends who occasionally partake in psychotropic 'shrooms, but the experiences they describe aren’t really what I was looking for, so I have yet to try that.

I did try marijuana for about a month, a little over a year ago; it was the first time I’d touched the stuff since high school. And there are people who say it helps them with depression or anxiety. But, again, for me…it just didn’t work. I’m one of those paranoid-when-high people. Still, for someone who’s at the point of being ready to check out, hell I’d give MJ at least a shot.

The Ketamine trials involve super-low doses, and the results seem to indicate that the subjects feel “normal” for a week or so. Not sure whether this’ll evolve into a long-term option, but the efficacy in the small scale trial (which, again, is only dealing with people who’ve been through everything else) is upwards of 60%, IIRC.

I was on lamictal as an anti-seizure medicine also, and was very surprised how much happier I was when I was on it. I hadn’t considered myself depressed, but I was MUCH happier when I was taking it. My spouse also commented about it.

As Sticks and Scones remarked, I also developed “a rash”, though not necessarily “the rash” and they took me off of it.

Lamictal is apparently the only “mood stabilizer” on the market, at least according to my doctor. For those who are depressed or bipolar, it may be worth a try.

J.

The pharmaceutical companies are really good at pushing new expensive drugs that sometimes aren’t as good as old, cheap ones. Really good.

That an older drug works better for you than the latest one should not be a surprise at all. A good doctor might even start off trying the old standbys rather than the latest ones. That doctor won’t have a good tan from a free vacation in Cabo, but that’s okay.

Since you’re quite insistent on word definitions as per your ATMB thread, I respectfully submit that you do another look-up on “empathize.” Because someone who glibly says “happiness doesn’t come out of a bottle, hang in there” is not empathizing.

If you don’t have depression, if you’re not “wired for sad,” then don’t pass along phrases you saw on kitten posters. Seriously, your post made me want to punch a hole in the wall.

For many people (not all by a long shot), medication is indeed the only solution (or add-on solution, in addition to therapy) that works for them. As others have said, most long-term, clinically depressed people aren’t seeking happy-happy-joy-joy. We’re seeking not-miserable. Baseline–not feeling the onerous weight of sadness, exhaustion, often inability to function, self-loathing–would be a freaking relief.

The few times medications have worked for me, in concert with therapy, the difference was… oh God. Incredible. Like after you have a migraine and it goes away. Your head isn’t feeling actual pleasant sensations just because the migraine disappeared, but you are now thankful because you suddenly don’t have the pain.

My head was clearer, I wasn’t insulting myself for every little thing I did wrong, I looked at the future and could make plans for it without assuming I was going to cancel or fuck things up somehow. I don’t think it was what most would call “happiness,” that’s just called “living.” The ability to experience it for a few weeks in my life has a bittersweet consequence. At least I know something once worked. But I also know that I had something precious and then it went away, and I haven’t been able to get it back. And that is so disheartening that it makes me feel even lower than I was before.

To go back to the OP. Since developing panic disorder I haven’t been able to go back on the two meds (out of, uh, 8 or so?) that worked for me, both of which were SSRIs. (Prozac and Zoloft.) The Zoloft just aggravated my anxiety and gave me more panic attacks. The panic/depression combo platter is a bloody nightmare to solve, at least with me. Everything that works for depression makes me anxious.

So eventually my pdoc put me on the old tricyclic Elavil (Amitriptyline). That worked relatively well, and oh gosh, did it put me to sleep wonderfully! (Insomnia also doesn’t help my mood any.) Downsides: super-dry mouth and postural light-headedness, plus an unbelievable hankering for sugar. If I could have mainlined caramel via an IV bag I would’ve been delighted. I gained 20lbs on that med.

After we decided I don’t need the weight issue, Doc put me on Pamelor (Nortriptyline), which is related to Elavil but has fewer side effects. Well, that it does. I’ve been on it for a year and not only does it have fewer side effects, it also has very little noticeable effect on my mood; I felt much better on Elavil despite the annoying dry-mouth and cravings. For anxiety I’m taking Klonopin (Clonazepam), and even that’s stopped being as effective as it used to be, as my two recent ER visits due to panic attacks can attest.

Anyway, my point is, the old school meds do still work well, it’s just that the newer ones became more popular due to their (generally) lower side effect profile. (I did try Effexor, and holy shit, that made me incapable of getting out of bed. I’ve never felt as low as I did on Effexor. Had to wean myself off of that very slowly due to the infamous withdrawal problem, but eventually I was free. Interestingly my sister is on Pristiq, another relative of Effexor, but it’s worked very well for her. But yeah, if she forgets to take it one day? Dizziness, flu-like symptoms, shakiness. The natural suggestion I always give her is: don’t forget to take it, duh.)

But all this is almost always an adjunct to therapy, whether it’s CBT or DBT or whatever works best for you. I have some situational depression in addition to what appears to be hard-wired and genetic predisposition to depression and disthymia, so my wonderful therapist helps me talk through various coping strategies and long-standing external issues and internal thought processes that need to change. But without the medicine I’m not going to get to baseline. It’s just not gonna happen.

That’s off-label for depression/anxiety sometimes as well, and especially for bipolar*.

I have taken several:
A bunch of SSRIs: tremors, sex stuff, etc.
SNRI: just Cymbalta (Duloxetine). It made me puke.
Tricyclics: only Imipramine. Bizarre side effects, I don’t know if it was hypotension or what but I lost leg control under certain situations and collapsed.
Trazodone often works great, just watch out males! I don’t think I was on it enough to see/long ago so I don’t remember if it worked well.

• Depression isn’t lack of happiness. And bipolar depression is not necessarily caused by the same things as unipolar depression.

Anti-depressants are not “happy pills”. They’re something that makes you function normally. Depression isn’t just “being sad”. It’s a state of constant despair, really. Nothing makes you feel anything else. Your favorite songs don’t sound the same, your favorite shows don’t entertain you, food doesn’t taste as good, etc. You’re basically in a black fog.

Anti-depressants let you feel NORMAL emotions. Happiness, yes. But also normal sadness, anger, boredom, excitement, etc. It puts you back on an even keel. You don’t feel like you’re stuck in a hole anymore.

(At least, that’s how it felt for me.)

BTW, I’m also on both an anti-depressant (Paxil) for OCD and Lamictal for seizures (along with Zonegran). Good luck!

My doctor prescribed me Trazodone as a sleep aid. She explained that it was once a popular antidepressant but had fallen out of favor because it made people sleepy and there were newer incarnations that didn’t. But if it doesn’t make you sleepy I would think it’s in no way inferior to “fancy” newer meds.

So it is usually prescribed at bedtime. I don’t remember it causing that in me. I did take some antipsychotics (no I have never bee psychotic), Zyprexa and something else, and they made me sleepy while driving so I quit those.

I am a fan of drugs that a few major but rare side effects*, and not those fewer minor but common to almost certain side effects (all SSRIs). Odds are very low that you won’t get them, and if you do you will likely be taught to recognize the signs and react quickly, then it’s usually no problem.

*Trazodone+priapism
*Lamotrigine+the horrifying Stevens-Johnson syndrome that Sticks and Scones et al. allude to)
*Wellbutrin+seizures. This is the only one of the 3 that has ever happened to anyone I know personally.

Nope. The main idea for most newer psych drugs seems to be to be more narrow so as to cut down on the side effects.

On the other hand, it’s been recently shown in at least one study that helping with insomnia often helps with depression. So a drug that can help you sleep can by itself help out a lot.

Wife of a psychiatrist here…also have intermittent insomnia/depression issues…

It is entirely possible that much of your depression stems from lack of sleep efficiency. So getting you to sleep, and with a substance that doesn’t carve up your sleep cycles as much as other meds, may be key to getting you back on track. The effective dosage for Trazodone for insomnia is considered subclinical for a biological antidepressant effect. I think you have to take over 300 mg daily for that to start to kick in. Some people still take it that way, but I believe that it’s generally inpatient usage.

FWIW, I felt like a million bucks when I added, I believe, 50mg of nighttime topirimate to 50-100 mg trazodone. Avoiding it all right now since I’m pregnant, and I feel like ass, even though I get “enough” sleep.

Good luck!

Oh, yeah, as a female, I must say a good side effect of trazodone was getting an extremely healthy libido back; nothing dangerous, I don’t think. :o But I could see how it could lead to priapism. And yes, women can get a version of it too.

Basically Yes.

Older drugs are and still effective. Some people still even take MAOIs. Sometimes one drug will work and one will not, it could be the older one works and the newer one doesn’t just as easily as the converse.

New drugs are sometimes developed for reasons other than being more effective. Sometimes it’s just to have something new and under patent with a fancy name to advertise on TV so people can ask their doctors for it. Sometimes it’s to more specifically target what you want in order to reduce side effects and make them less toxic in overdose. Tricyclic anti-depressants you can easily off yourself with a 30 day supply, so giving a depressed person a full bottle of those may not be the best idea.

Thank you. I was ready to tear sentrix a new one, but you were far classier about it.

Welbutrin saved my life. Literally, and I mean that in the actual lilteral meaning of “literally.” Without the meds, the therapy was getting nowhere. With the combination, I can get to a point where I can talk back to my destructive thoughts, and function as a normal human being. It’s still a daily struggle. They’re not magical happy pills - they put my brain in a state where I can actually reason with myself and realize that no, I don’t actually want to know what it would feel like to flip my car.

As for new drugs vs old: some of the new stuff may be better than the old… for some people. Until they really understand depression and anxiety and how these drugs are helping, they’re just marketing anything that seems to help some people, and hoping for the best. But old drugs can still work fine - look at penicillin and aspirin. Just depends on what you need.

So what you’re saying is that Wellbutrin figuratively saved your life. :wink:

Let’s get me started on one of my favorite rants:

Remember…the pharmaceutical companies are in it to make money. They want you to have horrendous side effects that require more drugs. They want people on as many drugs as they can take without killing them (bad for business).

Do you have a cite for this, Annie? Because it sounds like a huge pile of bullshit. :rolleyes:

Years of gulping down olanzapine, mirtazapine AND fluoxetine did nada for my depression though they did blunt my OCD-like symptoms. However, one week of paroxetine later, WOW! My mood is pleasant and the mind feels light and relaxed. Sleep has improved, too.

Incidentally, anyone here has ever been on paroxetine? How bad are the withdrawal symptoms? Paroxetine has the most formidable array of withdrawal problems due to its extremely rapid metabolism.

When all antideps fail, there is LSD. Might take you (uncomfortably) close to God. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes – and the withdrawal symptoms SUCK. (I had that problem once when I lost touch with my psychiatrist and couldn’t get a prescription renewal). But yes, it’s been a godsend. I can be “me” again.

No cite other a pharmaceutical rep I talked to once. But it’s an opinion I’ll hold until I die (and it won’t be from legal drug use).

Old Style Antidepressants?

I would agree that a cold can or two of Old Style can be nice on a bad day, but I’m not sure it qualifies as an antidepressant.:wink: