Old-Timey card games

Nice post Maggy. I play a lot of bridge and I’m in my mid-thirties, as is my partner, so some of us in the younger generations are playing. Our club membership is quite old, though, I must admit. The game has obviously declined hugely from it’s peak, but a lot have activities / games have - there’s just so much on offer for people to do these days.

Bridge will always survive at the top level because it’s so challenging - it has that cachet of being an exceptionally difficult game to master. At the social level, though, I don’t meet too many people who casually play, and certainly not around my age group. A few people I know who went to private schools were taught Bridge as part of their education, but I don’t know if that is still done. I guess it helps that it adapts quite well to online play, so that’s another medium for it.

I played against a 90 year old lady last week in our club - she bid 6 hearts and made plus one :slight_smile:

My father said he once saw someone pull a 29 hand in college. I’ve never seen one myself, and I’ve never seen a 28 hand.

I have seen 4 5’s come out in a hand at least twice in my life, one of those times was me (I was dealt four 5’s). However, the fifth card was never a ten/face.

And 19 is commonly used to refer to 0. The reason being it is the first point total that is not possible. The others are 25, 26, and 27.

I grew up playing cribbage, also northeast Ohio, and we call it 19 as well.

I’m from Wisconsin, my family and friends all loved Euchre. I had mad fun playing it with two cousins and my brother while at Grandma’s house on Christmas Eve.

Though my SOB brother swept us “going alone” like three times in two games. F***ing hax.