Old used car ad.

That’s a mid range Citation. It has a chrome grill, side trim and whitewall tires.

Dennis

Not technically a car, but my first vehicle was a 1965 Ford F-100 that had no radio. It started life as a fleet vehicle for Pepsi, and was as basic as it could be. There wasn’t even a hole to put a radio in, just a smooth place in the dash where it would be. It did technically have a heater, but it was just a blower that scavenged air off a heat exchanger next to the exhaust manifold - there was no heater core. If the temperature was below 40 degrees Fahrenheit and you were moving, it was just an insult that made noise and blew cold air on your feet.

So yeah, radio and heater most likely.

I assure you, radio and heater quite definitely. I was around then.

In addition to fleet cars, which were often available in a bare-bones state, there were other reasons why the dealer might use the “omit radio and heater option.” Carmakers were big into racing in the '60s, and a limited number of cars were sold with a big engine and with the carpet, radio, heater, sound insulation, and spare tire omitted for weight saving. The Chevrolet 409s were sold that way to customers who wanted to race, for example. Many of the Plymouth Road Runners rolled out that way.

Things changed after a while. Makers’ support for racing waned and waxed from time to time. Today, there’s a Dodge model that, right out of the showroom, will lift its front tires off the ground at the starting line on the drag strip.

How does “hard of hearing” create the requirement for “need side mirrors”? Did people used to hear the nearby cars to know if it was okay to change lanes without looking?

Yeah, drive with the windows down, and when deciding to make a right turn, slow down and listen for anything behind you.

Turn right slowly, and pay attention to the rear window and rear-view mirror.

Remember that cars were way louder prior to good emissions controls and electronic fuel injection.

Still, no way mandatory passenger-side mirrors wouldn’t have saved some darn lives for folks who didn’t live on a farm and only go into town once a month to buy more feed…

Maybe they named it after what you were likely to get for driving it on the street.

We had a 49 Ford with a Southwind heater. Ran on gasoline. Gasoline heater - Wikipedia

Some VW models had gasoline heaters. They worked a whole lot better than the standard blow-air-over-the-exhaust heaters, but were a real problem when they failed.

My 1973 Volkswagen Thing has an Eberspacher BN4 gasoline heater. There is a T fitting under the gas tank, with one line running back to the engine, and one running to a separate fuel pump for the heater. The piston in the fuel pump tends to stick. But when it works, it can just about singe the hair off of your leg.

Outside mirrors eliminated the blind spots she would have had with only the inside rear view mirror. In particular, she couldn’t hear the siren of an emergency vehicle coming up on her. Without an outside mirror to check, she could have pulled right in front of an ambulance while changing lanes.

Careful, it might end up the other way around. I’m on my second Insight. The first was totaled when a truck changed lanes into me in a traffic jam. Driver said he didn’t see me, and seemed to be implying it wasn’t all his fault (spoiler: it is) because the car is small.

Wrap blankets around yourself like your grandparents did in the one-horse open sleigh, ya tosser.

I grew up in MN riding in the backseat/third row of a station wagon, which for the first hour or so of long trips could just as well not had a heater for the amount of warm air that wafted all the way back there.

That seems weird, but I guess it was probably also a lot more common back then that someone could live somewhere where most roads were just 2 lanes. When you’re on a 2-lane road, there typically won’t be a car next to you. So if you just drove in the city and on little country roads, you might never have been on a 4-lane road where you needed the side mirrors.

But the funny thing about the side mirrors is that they still have a blind spot. Even if you look in the mirror and don’t see anything, it doesn’t mean there isn’t a car next to you. So a deaf person still needs to turn their head and look regardless of what they see in the mirrors. Maybe it would have made more sense for the deaf person to be restricted from having side mirrors so they were always forced to look.

When I was in high school, in northern Wisconsin, we had an old Jeep Wagoneer, in which the heater core was apparently deceased. The Jeep wound up being the car I drove for much of my junior and senior years, and driving on cold winter nights wasn’t terribly fun. You’d bundle up, and be thankful that it was just a 20-minute drive.

Blankets! I’d forgotten, but yes, blankets used to be standard equipment for passengers. Must have been tough for drivers though (I’m to young to have experienced that). Still, the driver got a lot more exercise in our old trucks, so that would have helped.

With a properly adjusted side mirror, you can always tell – the car, or a portion of it (enough of it to know it’s there) will first appear in the rearview mirror, then in the sideview mirror, then in your peripheral vision. Most people don’t adjust them to do this, but instead adjust them so that they can see the rear corner of their own car. This is largely useless, as you already know where that is – it’s the car approaching beside you that you really need to see.

My first new car was a 1991 Dodge Colt. I got one with AC and no radio (it cost around 7K, IIRC). I moved to Brooklyn a year after I bought it, and sold it since insurance was.over 2k per year. An old farmer gave me enough for it to pay it off.

Yep! We had an early Microbus, late 1950s. That Eberspacher was not much more then a frickin miniature gas turbine under the front seat. It whirred away and spewed red hot air onto the driver’s legs and hopefully the rest of the vast interior. The heat control was a hand knob you screwed in and out to adjust the temperature and had - so far as I could tell - almost no effect. Like 20 turns to regulate the air temp from 500 to 525 degrees.

It has small chrome intake and exhaust ports on the left side of the bus. It looked odd sitting there with smoke coming out of the hole at times.

Here is one running but it is a later model, ours was more industrial looking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv4lnPgZSYk

Dennis

We had a discussion in another thread about this. It may or may not be true for all vehicles; personally I don’t buy it because it obviously depends on the field of view of each of the three mirrors, which in turn depends on a variety of variables. In any case, adjusting the outside mirrors so a portion of your own vehicle is just barely visible isn’t useless, IME, because it provides a calibration reference point, telling you that someone or some thing didn’t bump or readjust the mirrors and they’re adjusted as you expect them to be. This is less obvious if there’s no reference point and a maladjusted mirror would be especially dangerous if the driver is happily assuming that there’s no blind spot.

It’s just good practice anyway to turn your head to check for traffic before changing lanes, and though it’s been about 300 years since I took my driver’s test, I do believe that around here, anyway, they will fail you if you change lanes without doing this. I don’t think claiming that your car has awesome mirrors and no blind spot is going to be a winning argument! :slight_smile:

ETA: And yes, I remember that years ago, a passenger-side rear view mirror was not always present and may have been optional or not available. A friend was so adamant about having one that he’d refuse to drive a car without one. I was less picky but today I find it indispensable.