Thanks for the responses. Now I know where I’m headed the next time I’m in Denver, Sacramento, or London (I’m less likely to make it to some of those other places, but if I do, I’ll be there).
[QUOTE=Lamar Mundane]
The Cruise Room in the Oxford Hotel in Denver has also been open since the day after prohibition ended, and is the best bar in town. Elegant and hip at the same time.
[/QUOTE]
Noted. I’m in Denver fairly often.
[QUOTE=yojimbo]
The Brazen Head. 1198
[/QUOTE]
Been there. That is one old bar! It really looks 800 years old.
[QUOTE=woodstockbirdybird]
Best I could find in San Francisco was a bar named, fittingly, The Saloon, which is said to have been established in 1861 and survived the '06 earthquake.
[/QUOTE]
Been there. They’ve usually got a good blues band playing there.
[QUOTE=Meurglys]
Looks like Edinburgh’s oldest is only 490 or so!
It’s less than a minute’s stroll from work…
White Hart Inn
[/QUOTE]
Been there. I think that’s where I had haggis.
[QUOTE=TheLoadedDog]
Sydney was founded in a haze of quasi-legal rum tents, and as a result the debate over “Sydney’s oldest pub” is fierce, with several claiming the prize.
[/QUOTE]
Heh, I’ve been to at least two bars that claimed to be the oldest bar in Sydney.
[QUOTE=BabaBooey]
Lafitte’s Blacksmith Bar, established sometime in the 1770’s. I believe it’s the oldest in America. I’ve actually never been, much preferring uptown bars to Bourbon St.
[/QUOTE]
Been there. Dude, you live in one great town.
[QUOTE=wolfman]
Maybe, but they don’t have liquor license #1 though. If we go with the longest time under license category in Denver, it would be.
[/QUOTE]
Been there. Good to know about the controversy though.