Oldest corporate mascot?

I’m more inclined to trust the company’s history. Who would know better? They do spell out the history of the mascot in considerable detail (much more detail than the USPTO) and yet only claim to have been using the mascot since 1877.

There clearly are some discrepancies going on. There’s no record of an application regarding La Belle Chocolatière being filed prior to 1905–that application also makes no mention of the image being in use prior to 1877–yet somehow 1836 ended up in a subequent filing.

Are we talking about in the US are in the world? I would imagine something like the Lowenbrau lion ( from the 16th century), or some other beer/whiskey animal woudl take the prize.

Well, if we’re talking a major brand in the US that’s based overseas, perhaps Elsevier Science’s logo might take the prize. The son of the guy who founded the Elzevir presses in Leyden in 1580 introduced the logo in 1620, which is pretty impressive.

However, while “inspired” by Elzevir, still based in the Netherlands, and still using the logo, the modern entity of Elsevier Science Publishing is officially only 125 years old. So, it depends on how technical you want to be. :slight_smile:

Never thought of that; shows how USA-centric I am. :smack:

Well, in my original post, Michelin was mentioned, and they’re a European outfit, so I’d say we have to include the entire world.

It may be nitpicking, but I wouldn’t call the Lowenbrau lion a “mascot” - it’s a heraldic device.

Strictly for United States trademarks…

Can The Devil be considered a mascot? The Underwood company says they registered the devil in 1870. They used the figure to advertise Underwood’s Deviled Ham in the New England region for approx. 25 years. The little red guy didn’t break out in national advertising until 1895.

Registration #0100229, first use in commerce: 4 February 1868.

That’s true, but I don’t think the brewers were nobility or anything. Löwenbrau means “Lion Beer,” I think. So I think you call it a mascot.

Key word may be “corporation” :rolleyes:

I believe they are trying to say that the term “Baker’s” has been used since 1836, not the character.

Clara Peller.

You might be right but that bit at the end makes it sound like both.