Oldest Movie you enjoyed

Don’t think I’ve ever sat through an entire silent film. At first I thought of Little Miss Marker (1934) but then looked up Our Gang shorts and see Farina started there in 1922 and I sure did see the one where he painted a white baby black to sell to a rich kid.

I came in to mention this one. It was a fantastic movie, but so sad I can’t say I enjoyed it exactly.

Seven Chances, with Buster Keaton, from 1925. One of the funniest movies I ever saw. Seven Chances (1925) - IMDb

The Great Train Robbery (1903)
The Pawnshop (1913)
Broken Blossoms (1919)
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligary (1920)
The Phantom Carriage (1921)
Safety Last (1923)
Sherlock, Jr. (1924)

I saw that when it was first restored, and it was touring the country. Gance was still alive. It was Francis Ford Coppola who had it restored, and his brother either led the live orchestra that was the accompaniement or composed it himself. It showed at a grand old movie palace in Kansas City.

Billy the Kid with Wallace Berry was made in 1930. I think I saw it. But theres been several versions and I’m not sure. I may be mixing it up with the Robert Taylor version made in 1941.

Definitely seen The Champ (Wallace Berry and Jackie Cooper) made in 1931. Same year as Dracula.

I never could watch 1920’s silent movies. I’ve seen clips from them and that was enough.

This. One of my all-time favorites.

Oh, and The General.

But, in those days…we had…FACES.

Another lover of Broken Blossoms here, for the dozenth mention. Clearly, anyone reading this thread who hasn’t seen it yet should rectify the situation.

Lillian Gish is just SO GOD DAMN beautiful in it, I still have a crush on her.

1925 - The Phantom of the Opera

And despite there being a dozen or two Phantom movies, it’s probably in the top 2 or 3. (Most of them are crap.)

I just found this on line I will watch it later .

When I was 17, I wrote her a letter, and she wrote me back, so I can tell you that she was also a very cool person. This would have been in 1984.

I love *Intolerance *(1916), mainly for “The Mother and the Law,” and “The Fall of Babylon.” Not crazy about the other two stories. It’s a 5 hr movie, so I FF through the French story and the Jesus story. I’ve seen the two stories I like about 20 times. I’ve seen the whole thing from beginning to end twice.

I confess to liking Birth of a Nation when I saw it, but mostly for a MOVIE HISTORY! thing. I did get to see it on a big screen.

I love silent movies, and I watch them all the time for the stories and the performances. I’m another Broken Blossoms fan. OMG, the closet.

Where’s the love for Charlie? Is this only features?

Break out the hankies.

1931’s Universal’s Frankenstein. Still a masterpiece.

I have a collection oh laurel and hardy and hal roach stuff some of it pre ww1

1922 Toll of the Sea with Anna May Wong. She was wonderful in it. I saw it a few times on TCM years ago and still think about it.

Dream of a Rarebit Fiend, 1904. Funny and great special effects.

I saw that in an outdoor showing (I think Wolf Trap, in Virginia) when Francis Ford Coppola revived it, got his father to write music for it, and colorized it. It was … long.

Shearer mentioned a pre-1920 Chaplin feature, which must be Tillie’s Punctured Romance, which I think was the only one he appeared in before The Kid in 1920. I haven’t watched a Chaplin two-reeler in years, so I’m hard-pressed to pick a favorite…maybe “Shoulder Arms?”

I love a lot of the Keaton two-reelers, too. (His first full-length comedy was also 1920, The Three Ages, a parody of Intolerance.).

But none of them pre-date the 1914 Cabiria, which was my initial choice.

I just saw two hours ago in a theater with piano accompaniment the 1923 movie Safety Last, and while it’s not a great film, it’s a pretty good one.