Olive oil: Speak your words of wisdom

Okay, where can I get some motorcycle chain lube?

I’ll second Chefguy’s recommendation of Lucini. It’s what we use for bread dipping and it’s a nice looking bottle too for those of us that like to keep a few of them out on the kitchen counter.

Here’s my factoid to contribute:

A lot of the olive oil sold as Italian says “Bottled in Tuscany” on the label. However, a lot of this is actually grown in Greece. Tuscan olive oil fetches a far higher price, so that’s why this is so. Italy exports more olive oil than is actually grown in their country.

However, the olive oil grown in Greece is awesome. I like it much more than any other oil. If you seek out Greek olive oil, you’ll get a great product and not pay Italian prices.

Trader Joe’s sells a good brand: DeMartini’s Kalamata Greek Olive Oil. It’s about $8 or $9 for a big bottle of it.

Nice breasts.

I feel compelled to point out to you that this really isn’t as funny as you think it is.

Just do what I do: buy the one in the coolest looking bottle. I do the same with balsamic vinegar

Well, I sure got fooled by this one. Two for the price of one at the local grocery store so I bought two. Barely legible are the words Mediterranean Style Sunflower Blend & (then in bold plain font) Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Didn’t realize what I bought till a couple weeks later and read the ingredients: 85% Sunflower Oil, 15% EVOO. Live and learn. :frowning:

Yes… The same goes for Spain, which produces more than 3 times as many olives as Greece and twice as many as Italy, yet doesn’t export much more oil than Italy. Indeed, Italian companies buy Spanish and Greek oil, bottle it, add a big label with an Italian name, and then sell it at twice the price. Because we all know that Italian food is the best, right?

And people, I hope you’re not using oil as lube combined with a condom, eh? That’s a big no-no

Olive Oyl speaks:

“How dare you call me a mule, you mule you! You men are all alike!”

“Popeye, you’re uncouth.”

“Down by the sea side, smell the salty air! Whee! Oh, I love the salty water.”

“Popeye! You are no gentleman! And if there’s nothin’ I like the least, no gentleman is the most.”
Best I could do. She’s not real quotable.

How about: “I’m dying of anorexia”?

I’m all for a snippy put-down, but that is like… damn.

You may or may not know: Mae Questel, who played Aunt Bethany in Christmas Vacation, was the voice of Olive Oyl (and Betty Boop) for many, many years.

Hey, you’re the one posting dirty chicken pictures.

Seconding this. I was stupid and left my wedding ring on while doing some roof patching with tar. I was a sticky mess and couldn’t get it off with any cleanser or scrubbing without taking skin with it. A short minute with olive oil and the tar magically rinsed off my hands and left my ring shiny new.

You keep your hands to you, that’s what you are!

It’s a good oil, IMO. It’s what I use to make a mustard salad dressing which I use quite often. I also use the TJ’s white balsamic vinegar.