Olympic Boxing sinks to new low

One of the many reasons I’ve switched to MMA. Don’t watch boxing at all anymore and don’t plan on. MMA has better refs (they step in a lot quicker) and doesn’t appear to be as corrupt.

Yeah, hiding the corruption is an important feature of MMA.

Most fights are stopped and there usually aren’t as many decisions so might be harder to be overtly corrupt.

Really? You think all those are good stoppages? Ok, enjoy.

Actually, I was wrong before when I said the Azerbaijani fighter was scored as winning the final round, but you’re also wrong in saying the judges gave the round to the Japanese fighter. The judges scored the final round as even at 10-10, but two points were added to the Japanese fighter’s score as a penalty to the Azerbaijani.

Not automatically added, though. Added due to a majority of judges agreeing with the warning.

It’s just touch boxing. Like a video game. Get rid of it.

I remember the Holyfield debacle in 1984. For any who don’t know, Holyfield had his guy thoroughly beaten. As the 3rd round came to a close, Holyfield unleashed a devastating left hook. As he threw what was the third punch in a brutal combination, the ref blew his whistle. Too late, of course, and the opposing fighter was knocked cold. Holyfield was disqualified and the other guy got the gold. To the other fighter’s credit, he pulled Holyfield up onto the dais with him at the medal ceremony. The disqualification was wrong, and the decision should have been reversed. No fighter on the planet could have stopped a thrown hook at the end of a combo like that.

The other guy got a silver. It was a semi-final match, not the final.

I do, yes. And I am actually very knowledgeable about MMA so walk me through the bad stoppages MMA is still climbing its way out the impression that it is human cock fighting. They can’t afford a serious injury or a death. Moreover, I think most of the stoppages make sense. Once you’ve lost guard or are no longer defending the head or the back of your head the fight should be stopped. I’m glad they take that approach as they avoid serious injury and frankly save fighters.

I’m sure most stoppages make sense. I’m not compiling statistics, but I’ve seen more than one stoppage that was either decided arbitrarily by the ref, or dishonestly. The same thing happens in boxing. It’s inescapabled in serious martial arts. As MMA grows, the level of corruption will as well. There’s magical property to the sport that will stop it.

I think that boxing heard rumors that badminton was now the most corrupt sport and said, “What! This shall not stand!”

Gotta disagree. I’ve watched a few MMA matches in my day and I’ve never seen one I thought was indicative of wrongdoing. Do some refs step in sooner than others? Sure, and some refs step in way too late.

What would you find indicative of wrongdoing by watching matches? You’ve said some are stopped too soon, and some to late. Maybe that’s all because of incompetence or ambiguous rules. Or maybe sometimes there’s another reason. If someone is getting paid off the money won’t be transferred in a sack with a big $ on it in the middle of the ring. I’m not pointing at any particular case, but the nature of these sports leads to corruption. MMA isn’t somehow magically immune to the problems which plaque most sports in some way or another.

Clearly stopping a match that clearly should not be stopped, or not stopping a match that clearly should be. I’ve never seen that. Never.
I’ve never seen scoring that was so off base as to be obvious. Never.
There is some degree of subjectiveness but that does not mean it’s fixed. I’ve never seen anything that comes even remotely close to the fiasco that is boxing.

Just be patient. :slight_smile: Seriously though, it’s hard for any other sport to sink as low as boxing. Modern boxing has a over a century of corruption, among other ills, forming a bow wave that will probably drown it’s future. MMA may never be as bad. Right now much of MMA is centralized under the control of a few promotions. They don’t have any great incentive to do anything untoward except overhype their events. But eventually success will bring greater temptation to fix events, outright, or by creating advantages for one side. Even in boxing, the fighters are rarely involved in any wrongdoing. It’s the trainers, managers, promotors, officials and athletic commissions that cause these problems. As MMA becomes more successful, and more money is involved, the level of corruption will grow.

Perhaps. But untill it happens I’m not going to paint MMA with the same brush as boxing. It may very well happen. It may not.

I wouldn’t either. I didn’t mean to leave that impression before.

What about yesterday’s match where Taras Shelestyuk beat Alexis Vastine? I don’t understand boxing well enough to judge for myself, but the commentators and audience seemed quite unconvinced by that result.