Omnibus Stupid MFers in the news thread (Part 1)

I smell an opportunity! In the spirit of the Flat-Earth, Holocaust denial, Moon Landing was a Hoax themes, I’m going to write a bunch of books and sell them to the Texas school system: “Gravity, is it real?”, “Water isn’t Wet!”, “Copernicus Was Wrong!”, etc. $$$

I used to have a pin that said “There is no gravity - the earth sucks!”

Conversely, you could write one called “Ted Cruz Isn’t A Pedophile” and make them include one with an opposing view.

Don’t blame me; I voted for Velcro.

Don’t go bringing facts to a prejudice fight.

And I have this on my bumper:

Insufficiently Scandinavian. Insufficiently blond.

Actually, here’s my guess: Some of the poorest people in the world survive by trawling through dumps for anything they can use, wear, or sell (or even eat). If refugees are arriving wearing designer clothes, I suspect that would be tattered dirty old rags and Gucchis that they scavenge there.

15 million people were estimated to live and work in garbage dump communities worldwide as of 2017, and this number was on the rise in 2019. It’s estimated to continue to rise as the pandemic impacts already vulnerable communities around the world.

Count on slimebag Lindsay Graham to say something as misleading as that. Beaucoup Pinnochios!

So then they should also have material that abortion is A-OK and guns are bad, right?

Conservative Christians want to stop people celebrating Halloween, but instead to replace it with a Christian celebration - Jesusween.
No, really.

Ha. I Love Halloween. I wish it wasn’t associated with death and fear, it should be the joy of wearing costumes.

Federal circuit judge hires a clerk who is on the record as saying she hates black people.

Isn’t it (Halloween) already rooted in a Christian religious celebration? It’s the evening before All Saints’ Day.

Although Halloween was mostly appropriated from pagan sources, it is very much not a Christian holiday now (if it ever was). That being said, this is one of the stupider ideas to come out of the evangelicals in a while.

They could stress the “All Hallow’s” part of the actual day, but that would mean at least obliquely acknowledging a Catholic holy day of obligation, which won’t do at all.

Honestly, the same could be said of Christmas, at least as it’s observed by most people in the US. There’s very little Christianity in it.

The other Republican judges are probably jealous that he got her first.

Since All Saints’ Day and Samhain (an old Celtic festival marking the beginning of winter in Gaelic Ireland) overlapped, they merged and got twisted until they eventually became what we call Halloween.

Yeah, but there was (and still is) a Christian component to Christmas, such that “put the Christ back in Christmas” is a defensible (if entirely unrealistic) slogan.

I don’t know that there ever was much of a Christian gloss on All Hallow’s Eve (as opposed to say Christmas Eve) - were there ever any rituals around it (other then the pagan one’s)?

That’s not as bad as the owner of this place, whose radio commercials every year at this time promote combining Halloween and Thanksgiving into “Thankstweenie” – and having everyone dress up as pink flamingos.

Wikipedia mentions some Christian elements, “In many parts of the world, the Christian religious observances of All Hallows’ Eve, including attending church services and lighting candles on the graves of the dead, remain popular, although elsewhere it is a more commercial and secular celebration. Some Christians historically abstained from meat on All Hallows’ Eve, a tradition reflected in the eating of certain vegetarian foods on this vigil day, including apples, potato pancakes, and soul cakes.”

I saw that on Facebook.

Anyone want to do an over-under on how long it takes before they start complaining about a “War on Jesusween”? It’s the 15th now, I figure, 23rd, maybe?