On the asking of hard questions

The problem with this question is, he’s shown a fair amount of interest in politics. Asking the question as you’ve phrased it would be an invitation for him to chew you up over that part, and he’d never have to answer the actual question unless he felt like it.

Obama has received very few hardball questions and was clearly annoyed about it when they were asked.

Really? The questions I remember Obama getting annoyed over were the softballs. Something along the lines of “The economy’s in a shambles, and you’re worried about how I look in a bathing suit?”.

That’s because the elitist college-educated danged liberal media are all in the tank for Obama! Obama would understandably get annoyed when someone violates the Secret Rules! :smiley:

That’s much of why he tried to exclude FoxNews from press conferences - Obama isn’t used to hard questions, especially before his staff has given him a statement he can read. Also why he did so poorly in his first debate with Romney. After that debate, the press realized that Obama was going to flounder, because he was used to the press jumping in to help him. So the moderator did so in the second debate, and things went much better for him.

Hillary Clinton is another who does not do well with hard questions, although in her case it is not because she is used to any extra breaks the way Obama is - she is defensive and prickly because of her attitude that she is above all these petty questions from lesser beings.

If the rest of the media treated Democrats the way FoxNews treats them, we would have a better idea of who can answer a hard question.

Regards,
Shodan

IOW, what I just said! :smiley: Except, sadly, I think you expect to be taken seriously.

Obama wasn’t afraid of hard questions from Fox. He was afraid of stupid questions. No politician, serious or otherwise, wants to be asked stupid questions.

I think controversy arises when the candidate thinks the questions are too hard and the reporter doesn’t. I’m reminded of the Palin Couric interviews.

Couric was in a difficult situation. On one hand, Palin was running for vice president of the United States and Couric had attendant journalistic responsibilities to conduct a meaningful interview. On the other hand, it’s not nice to make fun of the mentally handicapped. On balance, I think Couric fulfilled her ethical responsibilities. Of course to Palin, it was all “gotchas” and entrapment from the danged elitist college-educated lib’rul media.