On the formation of black holes

I think it depends. If the increase in angular momentum is due to incoming matter, then the matter can’t avoid bringing in more energy than angular momentum, and therefore the horizon expands.

A question: If a spinning black hole is extremal, then any incoming matter that would create a naked singularity will miss the hole. Why?

It won’t necessarily miss the hole, but if it does get in, it’ll have to be forced in. Whatever is doing the forcing will add enough extra energy into the system that the mass will still increase faster than the specific angular momentum, so it’ll stay decently-clad.

As I said above, reading between the lines I think that is what confused the OP’s friend.

I guess I should rephrase my question: If a spinning black hole is extremal, then, in the absence of an external force, any incoming matter that would create a naked singularity is guaranteed to miss the hole. Why is that?

My guess would be that frame dragging causes the matter’s geodesic to curve around the hole?

I don’t know about unchanging velocity (Special Relativity), but couldn’t you collapse into a black hole if you accellerated quickly enough(General Relativity)?

After some Googling, Wald says that due to the high impact parameter the particle will miss the hole. I guess I can see this. The lower the impact parameter the lower the ratio of imparted angular momentum to energy and “a” would stay less than “M.”

So to increase this ratio, and get “a” to be greater than “M” you’d have to have a high impact parameter, and thus it would miss the hole.

That’s one way it happens, of course, but you could also try to take an object spinning on the same axis as the hole, and drop it in along that axis. I think what happens there is that you get a repulsive gravitomagnetic force that keeps it out, but I’d have to double-check.

Yep, that’s exactly what happens. I stumbled on it while I was searching for the other stuff. The author used it to explain why a particle with intrinsic spin also couldn’t drive “a” greater than M.

Sounds a lot like the things we used to talk about as teens, oh and boobs.

Absolute space. The time between the last suck on the bong and passing out!