[QUOTE=Sage Rat]
Which?
I hope you don’t mean Sweden. I meant big S socialism, not just socialised capitalism. And Sweden appears to be being somewhat dishonest when recounting the number of people who are unemployed. The government covering up official numbers is one of the tells of a country that’s starting to go wrong.
[/QUOTE]
I think you are abusing the definition of socialism as much as other are abusing the definition of laissez-faire. Sweden has been governed by the Social Democrats for most of the past hundred years, and who are full members of the Socialist International. If I had to point to any government being truly socialist - that all members of society should have control over the means of production and its profits, and especially those means and profits that they directly contribute to, then Sweden and its trade unions are at the top of the list.
And could you give a cite that the Swedish government is covering up its official numbers? Or are you referring to the lack of counting people on sick leave and other government programs as unemployed? Neither does the US. Disabled, injured workers and other welfare recipients are not classified as such here either. Regardless, I dont know of any government that provides ‘perfect’ numbers for all of its statistics, and that is due as much to the nature of statistics as to the nature of government.
In regards to laissez-faire, it has always been a rather disingenous policy since the beginning. “Give us protection for our property rights, but don’t tell us to respect the rights of others, especially our employees,” cry the capitalists and other rentiers. And I’ve never understood the propensity for American conservatives who espouse the values of work, responsibility and productivity to favor the rentier class over the labor class.
Business requires both capital and labor, and I do not see why the rewards should be not equal. I have no problem with social policies that try to establish that equality.
[QUOTE=msmith537]
The free market is the most efficient way to allocate resources but it doesn’t necessesarily allocate them to everyone.
[/QUOTE]
Isn’t that a bit contradictory? How is the free market efficient if it does not allocate resources to those that require them? I think the free market is more efficient than arbitrary centralized planning, but I doubt that it is the most efficient.
I see a fundamental difference between capitalist and socialist economics is that capitalism is based on competition (warped by Social Darwinism, and increasingly belied by the actual practice of business) and socialism is based on cooperation (warped by Marxist revolutionist theory which did nothing to help the cause, and belied by human ambition).
Socialism promotes a equal share of necessities which increase as technology and the state are able to provide them and uses the tools of government to allocate those resources. One hundred years ago, it was food, shelter, basic literacy and similar items. Now it includes health care, a basic income, a clean environment and similar items. And the state can be more efficient than the free market to allocate those resources (ironically when it uses market-based mechanisms, such as pollution credits.)
After those basics are met, I do not see anything in socialism that requires everything else must be distributed and/or controlled by the state. If people wish to work harder to buy a bigger house, let them, and the market will dictate how hard they need to work to afford that house.
When socialism is corrupted into communism with total ownership of production and distribution of its output, then the platform fails. Sweden learned what the balance was and has had a fairly successful economy. Russia and other communist nations did not and did become totalitarian in their attempts to succeed.
Finally, the more I read up on the New Institutionalists, I agree with their stance that institutions - the artificial rules, customs and conventions of society - create and shape the market more than vice versa. The free market does not follow any ‘natural’ laws, and very few economic principles do either. As such it is society that can determine what economic policies they desire, not some ‘invisible hand’. France decided they want to tweak those policies a bit in a different direction, so they elected leaders that will attempt to do so. I do think those leaders are following a soon-to-be outdated methodology though.