"One Hit" Actors

Right after that is one of my favorite Simpsons quotes:
“How was I supposed to know it’s not a REAL spaceship?”

This is another example, I think, where the actor decided he wasn’t interested in this track. He’s pretty successfully reinvented himself as an off kilter character actor.

I guess, if you have F/U money already, you don’t need to do a Jaws 4 to build a house, you take the jobs you actually want.

I just looked him up and Mark Hamill has 5 Broadway shows on his resume.

Did one of them close after 4 days?

It looks like Harrigan N Hart closed after 4 performances. He was also in the short lived Six Dance Lessons in Six Weeks, that was 30 performances.

Missed Django Unchained, that was pretty big?

He was also one of the actors to play The Elephant Man on Broadway, in Bernard Pomerance’s play of that name.

I’m assuming for Jerry Maguire, but he was the star of the notable Boyz in the Hood (which was considered a breakthrough role) and did about a half dozen major studio films before then. Had a bunch of starring vehicles of mixed success (co-headlined a major film with Robert Deniro, was Radio, etc) and supporting roles in very well received films (As Good As it Gets, Men of Honor) but his career stalled out and went the direct to video and low budget route about a decade later.

He’s acted sporadically since then, though nothing was a hit (he did have a bit part in Iron Man but it’s safe to say he wasn’t why it was a blockbuster). He’s done a lot of directing and producing, though, so he’s had a successful career, just on the other side of the camera.

No, she was nominated three times, but only won once.

But you are correct in spirit - she has been nominated for, and won, numerous acting awards. Multiple golden globe noms, screen actor’s guild awards, etc.

How about Daniel J. Travanti for this thread? He was brilliant on Hill Street Blues, five straight Emmy nominations with two wins, but never came close to those heights again.

As it happens, I am watching Travanti right now, playing a Space Hippie on an episode of Lost in Space. After that, your career can only get better.

The most spectacular one-hit wonder I can think of is Igor Keblušek, who was a Czechoslovakian student at the Moscow School State Institute for Foreign Affairs in 1982 when a director at Moscow Television, having seen him in a crowd, declared that he was going to star as “Mr. X” in her new adaptation of the 1926 Viennese operetta Die Zirkusprinzessin (The Circus Princess). He struggled against it, as his lifetime ambition was to be a diplomat, but she had more political clout than he did, and his father (already a diplomat) finally advised him that “Not every actor can be a diplomat, but every diplomat must be an actor.” So he took the job—and Принцесса цирка turned out to be a huge hit. To this day, it’s still regarded by the Russian public as a classic, and on important anniversaries of its initial broadcast, he finds himself back in Russia, doing the talk-show circuit. But he still doesn’t want to be an actor.

Here’s a clip to show you why. The essence of the lyric is “Chicks dig hussars”.

Michelle Johnson, Blame It on Rio. Okay, this movie was not a monster hit, but it had a terrific cast and she really stood out in it. Watching it, I would have predicted bigger things for her instead of co-star Demi Moore. She has worked steadily in other movies, some great and some not, but in smaller supporting roles. She has done a lot of television, but the only time I know of that she carried the episode was TALES FROM THE CRYPT, when she pissed off the wrong bunch of lumberjacks. (I’d thought she was in the film version of A CHORUS LINE, but that was Michelle Johnston, another pretty young blonde.)

Chris Makepeace? I remember him from Meatballs, My Bodyguard and The Falcon and the Snowman. When those films were released, he was 15, 16 and 21 years of age, respectively, so you might consider him to have been a child actor. His Wikipedia entry says he’s been working as an assistant director since 2001.

Though I never watched Hill Street Blues and am not familiar with Travanti, the way you’ve described him makes me think of David Hyde Pierce of Frasier fame. Eleven Emmy nominations with five wins, and he seemed like a household name during the peak of Frasier, but outside of that, he’s done sporadic supporting roles and most of his work has been in theater.

How about everyone but John Travolta,on Welcome Back, Kotter?

That’s a good one. He had a lot of hype around him when he did Meatballs, but he faded pretty fast.

Uh, excuse me - Vamp? Grace Jones with no dialogue? The younger Pfeiffer sister? Albino street gang? Albino. Street. Gang.

It’s right up there with Shakes the Clown (aka ‘the Citizen Kane of drunken clown films’) as a pillar of Western film canon :slightly_smiling_face:.

I’d add Chris Makepeace to the long list of people who didn’t move from child actor to adult actor.

What the…??? 210 posts without a mention of Robert Evans??