One over infinity: what's the name for the fraction?

Well, yes, that’s the point. The pattern is that “1/cardinal” is pronounced “one ordinal.” What’s the ordinal corresponding to the cardinal infinity? I suppose 1/infinity could be pronounced “one omega,” but which takes precedence as an answer to the OP, math or the language?

And welcome back.

Thanks Indistinguishable. Hopefully Bowling Green, KY will take less of my time than New Orleans, LA did.

In a sense; that’s certainly a useful definition in many cases. But, like everything else, the concept really has not one sharp definition for all purposes, but a variety of different ones appropriate in different contexts, related through family resemblances, of course. One ultra-nitpicky point is that it’s often useful to treat 0 as an infinitesimal, without postulating that 0 is the inverse of any infinite quantity. Slightly less nitpickily, but along the same lines, there are systems of non-standard analysis (such as Lawvere’s smooth infinitesimal analysis, as opposed to the more well known Robinson-style approach) where the infinitesimals don’t reduce to triviality, but infinitesimals generally don’t have (and thus aren’t) reciprocals; thus, in such systems, to be an infinitesimal quantity cannot be simply the same as to be the reciprocal of an infinite quantity, and a different definition has to be used (e.g., a quantity which, no matter how many times you add it to itself, will never become greater than 1).

Thanks.

And to vary the theme: Infinity isn’t a cardinal. א[sub]0[/sub] is a cardinal.

Also Angelo Sodano :smiley:

My browser gets amusingly confused trying to reconcile right-to-left Hebrew with a subscript from the typical left-to-right universe. Am I the only one who sees the zero appearing on the left of the aleph?

Boobies are ordinal?

It happened to me too…

testing: א [sub]0[/sub]

nope. I always said we need LaTeX on here. I’ve got it on my weblog, so why not here!

Some of them are extraordinal!

Hmm, are you by any chance Unapologetic?

What gave me away? The fact I list it in my SMDB profile? :wink: