“Only So Much Moxie” / Automating Decisions

That could also be the reason no one drinks it. What does this say about affectionados?

I like “hot sauce” and usually have bottles of 6-10 in the house. Sometimes the biggest decision during a meal is which to use. My current top three are Valentina, Sriracha, and Melinda’s Habanero Mango.

This morning I made my breakfast burrito as usual, but struggled over saucing. Valentina won, but barely, and I had second thoughts after applying it.

I will acknowledge that some people seem to find making a decision over some trivial issue to be more difficult than deciding on something important. I’ve seen people get analysis paralysis over which move to make in a board game.

Trivial?! :man_cook:

From a neurological standpoint, doing the same thing over and over is less taxing on the brain. It’s the difference between traveling well-worn automatic pathways and having to form new ones.

I’m not sure focusing on the tiny decisions is all there is to it. Everyone automates or outsources decisions to some extent. Otherwse you’d start every day reconsidering your religion, whether you’re a vegetarian or not, etcetera. Also it makes sense to keep stuff in the same place always, to save time otherwise spent in looking things up.

The issue is probably that some people don’t care about certain choices that other people find very important. If you don’t care about having different clothing every day, ,why not dress the same each day? I always wear black socks to work, I don’t see the importance of variety in that respect. I wouldn’t like having a set menu each week because I like variety in meals. But I wouldn’t begrudge other people fixing their choices.

Having to choose and being able to choose are important, but not all the time. Freedom of choice also means that you may sometimes be liberated from the need to choose.