Opening Day

Tiger blood!

-Jack Norworth and Albert Von Tilzer

-Repeated by Harry Caray and Countless Others

Joe Morgan

Jerry Manuel

Jerry Manuel

ElvisL1ves

Two that showed up in my inbox today. I doubt that either is original, but neither was attributed:

This one is a bit Giants-specific…

R-e-d-s!!!

162-0!!

Bob Uecker

Tom Clark

Al Gallagher

Teddy Ballgame

“I see great things in baseball. It’s our game - the American game. It will take our people out-of-doors, fill them with oxygen, give them a larger physical stoicism. Tend to relieve us from being a nervous, dyspeptic set. Repair these losses, and be a blessing to us.” ~Walt Whitman

“Baseball isn’t statistics, it’s DiMaggio rounding second.” -Jimmy Breslin

“When they start the game, they don’t yell, “Work ball.” They say, “Play ball.”” ~Willie Stargell

“Say you were standing with one foot in the oven and one foot in an ice bucket. According to the percentage people, you should be perfectly comfortable.” - Manager Bobby Bragan

“Can’t anybody here play this game?” - Casey Stengel

“Why does everybody stand up and sing “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” when they’re already there?” ~Larry Andersen

Anything Yogi Berra ever said. Or, for that matter, Casey Stengel. Or Mickey Rivers.

This gets away from the quote theme that we have going, but I haven’t had a laugh like this in a long time. And yes, I’m a lifelong Cubs fan…

“The other sports are just sports. Baseball is a love.” - Bryant Gumbel, of all people.

“Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.” - George Will

Couldn’t help myself.

Here it is, your moment of Zen.

Stengel at his best. But Mantle topped him.

I’m not gonna link 'em here, but to hear a man insanely in love with baseball, do a youtube search on Tommy Lasorda, and, to a less serious extent, Earl Weaver. The results will be NSFW, but hilarious.

Joe

Not all the good stuff is of the time of George Will’s boyhood. Ozzie Guillen today upholds the tradition very well.