Origin of "If Muhammad won't come to the mountain.."

the only time i’ve heard this is as some islamophobic “joke” - saying that the world will have to bend to Islam (the mountain coming to muhammad) rather than Islam changing to bend to the world

I’ve never heard it used in this context. It’s origin as an Islamic parable makes this even less likely.

That’s how I always heard and interpreted it, and I always assumed it was a quotation or a paraphrase from the Koran.

Same here. A zombie taught me something today.

Well I am a muslim,I have read Quran several times and there is no such thing in Quran.Actually i saw this and googled it :smiley: .By the way I am Turk and i have never heard of something like this so i think that is also not true.

I’m trying to think…ohhhhh, maybe about 9 years ago :smiley:

LMGTFY

The phrase in common in Spanish and other languages.

The wikitionary entry seems a bit confused. Is the story first attested by Francis Bacon, or an earlier Muslim source discussing Musaylimah? Wikipedia says Musaylimah was a false prophet who had a reputation as a magician, but doesn’t discuss the mountain story.

Wiktionary, like its sister site Wikipedia, can be edited by just about anybody. In this case it was probably edited by somebody who didn’t know what he was talking about. Musaylimah existed but there is no evidence he had anything to do with the mountain story. In the absence of evidence to the contrary, I will presume that Francis Bacon invented the story. From context, it is clear Bacon thought “Mahomet” was a kind of mountebank. There is no indication that by “Mahomet” Bacon meant anybody other than the prophet Muhammad. That was then a common spelling of the name. The first edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica, published about a century and a half later still used that spelling, alongside “Mohammed.”

My take is

3- I interpret the original story by Francis Bacon in a different way.

He talks about charlatan politicians who promise things they cannot deliver and later pretend that what they did do is equivalent. Mahomet says he will call the mountain and the mountain will come, then when the mountain does not come he says he will go to the mountain and he pretends it is the same thing. The crux of it is that what he promised and what he did are totally different and yet he pretends they are equivalent. (It seems the lying politician is not a new thing under the sun.)

But today the phrase is used with a different meaning.

2- The saying “If the mountain won’t come to Muhammad, then Muhammed must go to the mountain” is today used to mean someone being practical. If the plumber calls and says he can’t come because his car broke down, instead of just waiting for him to repair his car you go pick him up and get the work done.

1- As evidenced by this thread, a large segment of the population have totally misunderstood and misinterpreted the saying.