Osama bin Laden vs. hog producers. Who's more dangerous??

actually, Poly with all due respect, Willy did make that comparison :

rival the destruction of Osama (which of course included the 3000 murdered people)
to which I replied

and

he replied

Which does in fact make the comparison that gee, if only we’d have the press coverage similar to 9/11, everyone could see. Not, ‘this is bad, too’ but 'it’s only the lack of press coverage. my reply was

, spelling out very specific, and real differences in the two situations, which makes the comparison invalid.

his reply

so he seemed to try and back track, except, of course, that gosh, 9/11 was the result of ‘one man’ vs. the hog farmers, who are many. Apparently by now, we’re supposed to be more upset about the hog farmers than OBL (of course, he fails to understand that the organization that OBL is with is the issue, not OBL himself)
and on to the most egregious direct comparison .

Bullfuckingshit. 3000 intentional murders, the crippling of a city’s economy, their fire department and rescue operations, not to mention the incredible loss of property all occuring in one motherfucking day is a wholefuckinglot bigger than an industry through corporate greed and lack of governmental regulations, performing wreckage and destruction of a piece of the environment. Yes, the latter is reprehensible, but you know what else it is? Some of it is reversable (if not now, at some point in the future), slower, and certainly a whole fuck of a lot less deadly.

And, to the person above who noted that there had been some illnesses then deaths linked to this. Yes, no shit, everybody mourns deaths of loved ones. And yet still, there’s a very fucking real difference between several deaths from illness from an accident (even if it’s linked to corporate greed) and 3000 intentional murders

And if you don’t believe it, then I suggest that you refrain from speaking to anyone who’s had a loved one murdered. You’d be likely to say something heartless like “I know what you’re going through, my uncle died of TB”.

IT’s heartless (generally) to compare grief. IT’s especially egregious if it’s done to attempt to publicize one’s pet cause (even if it’s a worthy cause)

and, Poly what **Willy ** hasn’t fucking gotten yet is that by continuing to draw the comparison, he’s hurting his own cause. Like I posted earlier, it’s much easier for people to dismiss hyperbolic argumentation, then closely examine it for the truth.

So, if he’d simply start saying “9/11 was horrific. While this doesn’t compare in level and intensity, it, too is a horrible, horrible situation, and there’s quite a few things that we can do to correct/help the situation”. then people would be less willing to call him to the pit, and might actually listen to what he’s saying. fer cryin out loud, my first posting in this thread was saying that the statement didn’t appear to be accurate quote, if it was an accurate quote it was reprehensible, but the lesser statement of ‘this sucks’ (in essence) did appear to be true. But **Willy ** has continued to come and defend the ‘comparison’, and as I quoted above, even implying that the hog producers are ‘even’ or ‘worse’ (there’s more of them than just one man and his comment that if you’d seen the devestation at 9/11 then “Maybe” you can feel the pain of this"

I’m afraid that wasn’t apparent from your post, but I’m glad that you agree.

Well, knowing about it and doing something about it are two different things. I for one would be glad if this sort of pollution became a national issue if that pressured our state legislature to do something about it. Let’s face it – the corporate hog producers are the people with the power in this state.

Frankly, I wouldn’t hold my breath, but I certainly hope so.

Yes, exactly. Yet it’s not enough to show this sort of criticism – and this seems to be the only criticism that gets any press (ie. I want big hog factories and cheap pork, just not near me). This is why I am doing my part by not eating pork, as I figure the vote I get with my dollar is worth a lot more on this issue than the vote I get on election day.

Of course there are things that you can do about it, you just can’t expect politicians to step up and do it for you. If you think the issue is important, there are ways to enact change. Fatalism sure never solved a problem.

Perhaps not. I wasn’t at the speech, and I’m afraid I don’t trust the Des Moines Register for an accurate account. (The papers out here in the Midwest really are shit, I’m sorry to say.) I share the disgust over sensationalizing every issue by connecting it OBL / 9.11, though I do think that backup would be very much appreciated if it gets us anywhere.

I just don’t see such a polarization between national and local issues. A lot of rural areas seem to have this sort of feeling and I’m afraid – as a person who’s lived in different parts of the country – I don’t share it. When local officials are king of their respective hills and won’t budge on an important issue, I think it’s acceptable that an outsider speaks up when enough locals don’t. After all, we don’t have that many high profile liberals in this state who have enough influence to bring up the issue. Unfortunately, it seems to have backfired, but I for one would like people from outside to start pressuring us. We haven’t done anything without this pressure, and I’m beginning to doubt that we ever will.

Wring, I am sorry if you take offense at the comparison. I am very pissed at the people responsible for ruining the Fishery, the livelyhood, the water, and the marine life in my home. It has been done systematically with the co operation of the people that were elected to ensure the quality of life here. They did not set out to kill a bunch of people, like Osama. They set out to make a bunch of money with little regard to me or my neighbors or my fish or my children. The level of destruction is beyond 9/11 in many, many ways and much of it is irreversible. You can build a new trade center. You can’t bring back extinct shellfish. You can’t have a summit with the speckled trout and convince them to come back to the Neuse. You can’t have an open house at Adams creek and invite all the jimmy crabs back. I am sorry if it offends you, but if that is what it takes to get your attention, then so be it. BTW, next time you see John Edwards or Jim Hunt or Loch Faircloth out on the campaign trail, remember just how much these guys did for us and know that they can do it for you too.

P.S. If they capture Osama alive, it would be fitting to drown him in a festering cesspool of hog shit.

Fluid, the comment about our inability to do anything about having a Big Pig set up in out back yard is simply an accurate recitation of the law in this State as it exists now. This is not fatalism. It is reality. However, I fully expect to see the legislature do something about it next session. As things now stand, under the 1990 reapportionment, representatives from districts containing some 40% of the population make up a majority of both houses. Under the 2000 reapportionment the imbalance will be temporarily corrected and the urban areas will gain representation and the rural areas will lose representatives. The new apportionment will be in effect for the legislature that meets next January. Once that happens I fully expect to see some sort of local control over big confinement facilities.

Certainly, for economic reasons, big confinement facilities will continue to be built. Up to now the power of the Ag-business lobby has made them out of bounds most regulation by the State and entirely exempt from local control. A legislature based on the State’s present demographics will be much less subject to strong arming by Big Ag than the last outfit. I expect the next legislature to do something about our problem.

I am talking about doing something in a general, not a specifically legal, sense.

I hope you’re right about the legislature, but we’ll see.

you know** Willy** you keep appologizing then keep doing the same thing. Apologies are only sincere if you stop the offensive behavior.

I understand the difference between killing a species and destroying a building, killing thousands, making many more thousands homeless, more unemployed, financially devestated, all while they got to breath in the air that contained bits of their loved ones. yep.

Don’t bother appologizing to me. YOu belittle the experience of those who’ve been traumetized by saying ‘it’s worse down here, at least you didn’t kill of a species of animal’.

Worse and myopic yet, you’ve not ever acknowledged that it’s likely that you’re doing your cause harm by this tactic. you allow people who don’t want to believe you, to easily dismiss your position; and at the same time alientate those people (like me and other liberals) who resent hyperbolic statements, meaningless comparisons to an international tragedy, all to ‘get people’s attentions’.

Shrug.

so be it.

Point taken, and I’d effectively disregarded the fact that Willy did endorse the comparisons, more or less.

Look, troop. Because something is important, and IMHO the problems here and in Iowa are important, does not justify belittling the unprovoked attacks that killed thousands – I remember worrying about and praying for several downtown-NYC and DC-near-the-Pentagon friends from this board who were not heard of for some time after the attack.

Wring, Did you see all the wise cracks and belittlement in the begining of this thread? Some people think this comparison is funny and belittle our catastrophie.

and this is from the OP.

I will lay off the comparison. This shit aint funny. What you said here is to start with is probably the best way to get at it.

yes, I saw them, and that was the point I was making about using 9/11 as a comparison. It harmed your cause, because, as you saw (finally), it was so hyperbolic as to be meaningless, allowing people to dismiss your cause as being irrationally stated.

good.

correct.