Oscar Countdown: The Award Season Begins

I’m really surprised Up in the Air didn’t get an ensemble nod from the SAG. Three individual acting awards would earn one, I’d think (not to mention the supporting roles by JK Simmons, and the actresses who played his sisters… Oh, and Danny McBride was actually pretty good as well.)

I agree, that was a shock. I guess the voters figured that Up In The Air was getting and would be getting a lot of attention elsewhere, and voted for a tiny movie that most people hadn’t paid much attention to, other than Carey Mulligan’s performance. I’m glad because the other actors in An Education will now get some sort of recognition. There’s Peter Sarsgaard, Alfred Molina, Olivia Williams, Emma Thompson, Cara Seymour, Rosamund Pike, Dominic Cooper and Sally Hawkins, and it’s good for them, this might be the only props any of them get.

Det = Detroit Film Critics, LV = Las Vegas Film Critics, Ut = Utah Film Critics

Picture: Hurt Locker (LV), Up (Det), Up in the Air (Ut)
Director: Bigelow (LV), Pete Docter, Up (Det), Reitman (Ut)
Actor: Firth (Det), Viggo Mortensen, The Road (Ut), Renner (LV)
Actress: Mulligan (Ut), Gabourey Sidibe, Precious (Det, LV)
Supp.Actor: Christiam McKay, Me & Orson Welles (Ut), Waltz (Det, LV)
Supp.Actress: Mo’Nique (Det, LV, Ut)
Screenplay: Fantastic Mr. Fox (Ut), 500 Days of Summer (LV)
Foreign Film: Red Cliff (LV), Thirst (Ut)
Documentary: Anvil! (LV), The Cove (Ut)

Ch = Chicago Film Critics, Fl = Florida Film Critics, Ph = Phoenix Film Critics, StL = St. Louis Film Critics

Picture: The Hurt Locker (Ch), Inglorious Basterds (Ph), Up in the Air (Fl, StL)
Director: Bigelow (Ch, StL), Reitman (Fl), Tarantino (Ph)
Actor: Clooney (Fl, Ph, StL), Jeremy Renner The Hurt Locker (Ch)
Actress: Mulligan (Ch, StL), Gabourey Sidibe Precious (Fl), Streep (Ph)
Supp.Actor: Waltz (Ch, Fl, Ph, StL)
Supp.Actress: Mo’Nique (Ch, Fl, Ph, StL)
Screenplay: 500 Days of Summer (Fl, StL), The Hurt Locker (Ch), Up (Ph), Up in the Air (Ch, Ph)
Cinematography: Avatar (Fl, Ph), The Hurt Locker (Ch), Nine (StL)
Foreign Film: Broken Embraces (Ph), Red Cliff (StL), Sin Nombre (Fl), The White Ribbon (Ch)
Documentary: Anvil! (Ch), Capitalism: A Love Story (Ph, StL), The Cove (Fl)

plus the Golden Satellite winners (divided into Drama and Comedy/Muscial)

Picture: The Hurt Locker (D), Nine (CM)
Director: Bigelow
Actor: Renner (D), Michael Stuhlbarg A Serious Man (CM)
Actress: Shohrey Aghdashloo The Stoning of Soraya M. (D), Streep (CM)
Supp.Actor: Waltz
Supp.Actress: Mo’Nique
Screenplay 500 Days of Summer, Precious
Cinematography: Nine
Foreign Film: Broken Embraces, The Maid
Documentary: Every Little Step

After seeing Crazy Heart last night, I’m pretty convinced that the Academy voters will award Jeff Bridges Best Actor. He’s so well-loved in the business, this is a great role for him, and there’s no other frontrunner for Best Actor this year, like some years (Forest Whitacre’s win was a foregone conclusion months before the Oscars). Bridges is (probably) going to be up against his fellow SAG nominees Jeremy Renner in The Hurt Locker, George Clooney in Up In The Air, Morgan Freeman in Invictus and someone else, I don’t know who. Maybe Colin Firth for A Single Man (which I haven’t seen yet, because it’s playing in my 2nd least-favorite theater in Chicago, but I intend to hold my nose and go there just so I can see that movie). I agree with you ArchiveGuy that those other actors (Viggo, Matt) are long-shots. If Nine had been a better movie Daniel Day Lewis might be in the mix. He was great, but the movie was not.

The nomination will be Jeremy Renner’s reward. Clooney was great as always, but he’s still having to prove himself for some reason. Morgan Freeman was, well, Morgan Freeman with an accent, and he didn’t have all that much to do except look noble. Colin I’m sure is quite good, but Firth over Bridges? No way. If it were Day Lewis he won two years ago for a brilliant, classic movie, a performance for the ages in a movie for the ages. He’s not going to win again for a pretty but mediocre movie.

I think Oscar pool people can put some serious money down on Jeff Bridges. The critics aren’t choosing him and maybe SAG and the Golden Globes won’t either, but Academy voters will.

I just saw **An Education **last night and thought it was fantastic. All of the acting award buzz for **Carey Mulligan **is well-deserved. Also think **Alfred Molina **is likely to get a supporting nod. Hope Nick Hornby gets a lot of attention for his adaption as well.

Also saw **Nine **over the weekend and enjoyed it. Not much plot but it’s a fun enough movie. I could see **Penelope Cruz **getting nominated, though I much more enjoyed **Marion Cotillard’s **performance.

Glad you saw and liked An Education! It’s so small and obscure that I don’t blame anyone for wondering who the hell this Carey Mulligan person is, but I hope the awards buzz will get more people to see the film, if not at the theater, then on DVD. That’s exactly why I love awards season, because it does bring attention to people/films that need and deserve it. I don’t know if Alfred Molina will get a supporting nomination, but it wouldn’t surprise me. I think Peter Sarsgaard deserves credit too. I can’t go into why without spoiling the film, but you understand.

I agree with you about Marion Cotillard.

I am definitely going to seek this movie out, mainly because of Carey Mulligan–but the rest of the cast looks great, too! Mulligan played “Sally Sparrow” in the Doctor Who episode Blink from a couple of years ago. It’s one of the most popular of the new-Who episodes and it’s unusual in that the entire episode follows the Sally Sparrow character while The Doctor–though still a key figure in the story–is seen relatively little.

Oooh, I have to find and watch that! She has a bunch of projects coming up so we’ll be seeing a lot more of her.

I thought Ponyo should be included, but it apparently opened in 2008 in foreign theatres and therefore doesn’t qualify for 2009, but I don’t get why it wasn’t nominated last year then (a little help here, someone?).

I won’t predict it but I could see it happening: Up will be the only animated movie to get nominated for Best Picture but still will not win Best Animated Feature. (I think Mr. Fox will, although I haven’t yet seen Princess & the Frog.)

I’d love to see Mr. Fox win, but I think Up will.

I saw A Simple Man and A Serious Man (for the 2nd time) today, and now I’m really torn about that 5th spot (assuming Bridges, Clooney, Freeman and Renner are locks). Colin Firth deserves it, but Man, so does Michael Stuhlbarg. What a terrific day at the movies! I’ll (probably) be very happy with whoever gets that 5th spot, even if it’s Tobey Maguire. As long as Renner gets in, I don’t care.

:smack: A SINGLE MAN and A Serious Man.

I could totally see Mr. Fox winning Best Animated Feature. Call it the “Michael Jordan Corollary” where voters get tired of giving, in that case, the MVP to the same guy every year (hence why Karl Malone & Charles Barkley won it in years Jordan should have). Mr. Fox is an underdog that voters could get behind. And this is not to say Up isn’t worthy of yet another Pixar win or that Mr. Fox is or isn’t. Each has some small warts, but I say it’s a pick-'em.

George Clooney has already won an Oscar, so who’s insisting he prove anything?

I just saw this tonight and wish I’d seen it 2 years ago. What a fantastic episode, and Carey is to-die-for cute. Thanks for mentioning it so I could get my husband to find and show it to me.

It’s a Supporting Oscar, not a Lead. A good sign, but he has a ways to go. He’s loved, a good actor, a good human being, a good citizen of the world, and deserves praise in all ways, but he’s not going to win over Jeff Bridges, who’s been around much longer and has worked with simply everybody, and has been nominated 4 times before, and has a role that’s worthy of a Oscar. Not that the others weren’t, but his only other Leading nomination was for Starman, which, while wonderful, is somewhat lightweight. His other nominations were Supporting for The Contender, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, and The Last Picture Show. I wish he’d been nominated for Fearless, The Fisher King and The Big Lebowski.

I’d be happy if George won. I’d be thrilled if Jeremy Renner won. Still, I think Jeff will win and I will dance with joy.

Just wathced PRECIOUS over the weekend and thought it was a great film. Depressing as all get out, but also surprising in some of the more lighthearted fantasy sequences, which I wasn’t expecting going into the film.

The performances, all of them, were remarkable. Mo’Nique is a lock for the Supporting Actress win, and I can’t think of someone who has done a better job as a supporting actress in the last decade. She’s insanely good.

Gabby Sidibe was also quite good and I hope to see her nominated for Best Actress (though I’m hoping Carey Mulligan wins). At first I thought she was just playing a version of herself w/o any real acting going on - but then it switches to the fantasy sequences and you see her absolutely shine w/ personality.

If it weren’t for Mo’Nique, I’d think that Paula Patton might have had a good shot at an Oscar nod for her role as the “ABC Teacher.” Also good were Mariah Carey, Lenny Kravitz, and Sherri Shepherd.

Of all the active overduers in the business, I think Bridges is the most overduest. You look at the list of people who’ve been nominated in films he wasn’t (Robin Williams, Rosie Perez, Michelle Pfeiffer, Martin Landau, Susan Tyrell, Jane Fonda, Robert Loggia) and all you can think is: “Wait a minute, he was just as good, if not better, then they were!” He’s one of our finest actors but hasn’t had too many hits (and usually takes less flashy roles) so has been a long overlooked diamond that everyone’s taken for granted for so long. I haven’t seen Crazy Heart yet, but from everything I’ve heard, I’m really excited about the film and his prospects. He’s got a reputation for being such a nice, modest, self-effacing guy, I really hope it works out for him.

I think it will. We’ll dance for joy together!

I’m sure they’ll both be nominated and I’m with you on Carey Mulligan, but I don’t think either will win. I don’t have a guess as to who will. It may be Meryl’s year (finally, she’s now lost more times than any other actress) but it’s a hard one. There’s no frontrunner.

I would hope that Mo’Nique is a lock. Hard to tell, but I don’t think anyone else even comes close. She’s not campaigning, which some say is a mistake. I think it’s kind of refreshing.

The Producers Guild nominees. Like AMPAS, they went with 10 nominees this year instead of the usual 5. DISTRICT 9!! An Education! 9!! Basterds!! They’re all good though. Winners will be announced the 24th.

Producers: James Cameron, Jon Landau

DISTRICT 9
Producers: Carolynne Cunningham, Peter Jackson

AN EDUCATION
Producers: Finola Dwyer, Amanda Posey

THE HURT LOCKER
Producer(s): Awaiting final credit determination.

INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS
Producer: Lawrence Bender

INVICTUS
Producers: Clint Eastwood, Rob Lorenz, Lori McCreary , Mace Neufeld

PRECIOUS: BASED ON THE NOVEL PUSH BY SAPPHIRE
Producers: Lee Daniels, Gary Magness, Sarah Siegel-Magness

STAR TREK
Producers: J.J. Abrams, Damon Lindelof

UP
Producer: Jonas Rivera

UP IN THE AIR

PGA Producer of the Year Award in Animated Theatrical Motion Pictures:

CORALINE

FANTASTIC MR. FOX

THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG
Producer: Peter Del Vecho

UP
Producer: Jonas Rivera
PGA Producer of the Year Award in Documentary Theatrical Motion Pictures:

BURMA VJ
Producer: Lise Lense-Moller

The COVE
Producers: Paula DuPre Pesman, Fisher Stevens

SERGIO

SOUNDTRACK FOR A REVOLUTION

=============

Only 4 Documentary nominees for some reason. Odd. I’ve seen all the regular and animated. I haven’t seen any of those Documentaries. The only one I’ve even heard of is The Cove.

Next up, the Directors Guild nominees on Thursday.