Paralysed man walks again after cell transplant

Possibly they can use spinal tissue for that.

An interesting and relevant discussion with wheelchair users from a UK news program voices many of these same issues.

I knew deaf people have this philosophy, but that some paras and quads feel this way is news to me.:eek:

I agree. People keep telling my husband (C5/6) that he’ll be walking again. Not a chance. He was injured in 1977 and, even if a reliable treatment were available, I doubt it’d be offered to an SCI patient so far down the track.

Not the same at all. If becoming “fixed” were as seamless and easy as simply sticking a tiny little piece of equipment on one’s hip and being able to walk, I think many more people would choose to go that route. It is not JUST a “this is us now, let us be” mentality at work here, it is the acknowledgment that any such therapy that might bring about ambulation would require years and years and pain and suffering that people who have already well moved on and developed a life simply don’t want. Why would they?

nm

And even it were offered, do you imagine he would want to subject himself to what would no doubt be the most painful, grueling, longest physical therapy he had ever undergone? For what ultimate end? To be able to hobble and wobble and shuffle and limp. Would that really be a “cure”?

I think he probably would. Whether he’d regret that decision is obviously unknown. Of course, in addition to having atrophied leg muscles to work on, he would also have to have extensive physiotherapy on his arms. I’m not at all sure that, given his age (57), he’d be up to it. But he’s a stubborn bugger, so he’d probably want the surgery/treatment.

Your point totally taken, Ambivalid.

Obviously, this is a nascent breakthrough in spinal cord regeneration, and the results being reported here came about with much toil and suffering on the part of the patient, but not without a more altruistic goal in medical research and progress.

Going from this not being a possibility or an option at all (because it didn’t exist), to something of promise for those to whom it makes sense—hopefully going from A-to-Z in this treatment will become shorter and less grueling as time and experimentation marches forward.

Also, besides regaining some movement, the article did mention some returning sensation, which I can only imagine might be more valuable to some?