Parents do you make peanut butter sandwiches for your kids? What kind?

I don’t have kids, but every once in awhile I get a craving for a PB & grape jelly sandwich to go with minestrone soup.

Never even heard of the honey option.

I voted other. My daughter, age 8, loves Peanut Butter with brown sugar!

That was always reserved for special rewards in our household.

Or when I wanted a late-night snack.

Always liked em with molasses. Only a sometimes treat, of course.

Peanut butter and sharp cheddar cheese.

I enjoy peanut butter, and am a true lover of sharp cheddar, the sharper the better.

Yet I’ve never combined these two. Never even thought of it.

I have no real urge to, either. Even after hearing of it.

But now I guess I’ll have to…

Any tips on ratios, types of bread to use, other ingredients?

I’m “other,” because my kids think peanut butter tastes nasty. I wish they liked it, but they eat turkey sandwiches several times a week instead.

My nephew is partial to peanut butter and mustard sandwiches.

My son’s allergic to peanuts. He’s only a toddler, so it hasn’t been much of an issue, but I feel bad that he is going to miss out on peanut butter.

I recently picked up a jar of Marmite, to try to get him started with an alternative sandwich spread, but having tried it, I’m now dreading a little bit the possibility that he might like it. I find it really unpalatable, and it very much seems like something one has to have developed a taste for as a child. I’ve heard that about peanut butter as well, though.

I see the Fluffernutter isn’t very popular anymore. At least not in this poll sample. I’m not surprised. Thats a lot of sticky sugar to put on a sandwich.

I’m a little surprised plain peanut butter sandwiches got so many votes. I only like them plain when they are made with fresh hot toast. The hot toast warms the oil and softens the peanut butter. It has to be eaten quickly before it cools very much.

I used to work with one of the family that owns the Marshmallow Fluff company (and no doubt an heir to the vast Fluff fortune!). He said that for most of it’s life, Marshmallow Fluff (and hence the associated Fluffernutter ads) was limited to a small section of the Eastern US, and that many Midwest/west coast folks had never heard of it. That was years ago, and it’s more broadly available now, but aside from a mention on the tub, I’ve never seen a Fluffernutter ad in the wild.

I just voted for the fluffernutter, so that will bump it up a bit. I lived in the Boston area for about 7 years, and picked up on it there. My kids were born (and we still live) in California, but fortunately Cost Plus World Market stocks Fluff at a reasonable price. The kids have the choice of PBJ or fluffernutter, and usually choose the fluffernutter. And of course it has to be real Fluff, not that Kraft crap. Making a fluffernutter with the Kraft crap would be heresy.

I’ve compared the sugar content of Fluff with conventional jelly, and it actually has about the same or less sugar than jelly per sandwich, even accounting for the fact that you use more Fluff. Fluff only has 6g of sugar per 1/8 cup.

I lived on Cape Cod (Falmouth Mass) until I was 9. We ate a lot of fluffernutters. We moved here and I had to explain what they are to my Ark relatives.

I agree. Real Marshmallow Fluff is the best.

Food of the gods.

I hated peanut butter sandwiches as a child until I was 12 or so. We went on a day trip somewhere and my sister and I were in charge of making the sandwiches for the picnic lunch. Sis did the ham with butter and mustard, I made the PBJ’s, somehow in our rush toward the finish we messed up the last 2 sandwiches, so at lunch my sis had to eat ham with jelly and I got the peanut butter/mustard. Surprisingly, not bad. I still have a hard time with peanut butter and jelly though.

My daughter loves her peanut butter and grape jelly sandwiches with three miniature marshmallows in the middle. She came up with this recipe herself, just so ya know. Banana on the side to dip in her yogurt. She could eat this every day and never get tired of it.

My son’s favorite is PB, honey, and bologna. Eeeeuurgh.

Has anyone mentioned peanut butter and pickles yet? (Sweet or bread & butter pickles)

Peanut Butter and raisins is something we worked out for camping. Easier to pack.

I’ve also had, though not frequently, peanut butter and tomato. The tomato has to be a real, red, flavorful garden or farm stand tomato. Since that on white bread with mayonnaise is the definition of summer deliciousness to me I’m rarely inclined to use up tomato on a peanut butter sandwich, but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

My almost 3-year old son totally loves Ritz cracker/peanut butter sandwiches.

Peanut butter, honey and bacon.