[QUOTE=RTFirefly]
AFAIAC, ethnic cleansing is de facto partition, on a patchwork rather than a systematic basis. All three main factions are playing.
[/QUOTE]
Well, I’m not sure the Kurds are playing that game right now (at least I haven’t heard that they were going after Shi’ia or Sunni in any kind of systematic manner), but certainly the other two are doing so. But they are doing so furtively, with some measure of restraint…retail instead of wholesale if you would.
[QUOTE=RTFirefly]
How is the example relevant? The Kurds seem able to defend their piece of Iraq, and don’t seem to have wildly expansionist designs with respect to Arab Iraq. The Sunnis aren’t numerous or well-armed enough to force their way very far into Shi’ite Iraq, but they’ve got well-trained fighters who will make any Shi’ite army pay for trying to drive west and north.
[/QUOTE]
Its relevant in the fact that, according to common wisdom at the time, the regime the Soviets were proping up in Afghanistan was billed to last a few weeks after they pulled out…and yet, it ended up lasting longer than the Soviets themselves. It took somethink like 7 bloody years before the Taliban finally took quasi-control. And here is the thing…from the outside, it might LOOK like there are unified Sunni and Shi’ite factions (Kurds probably are at least quasi-unified I suppose)…but inside even they are riddled with factions. Factions that, without the US there dicking around, would probably end up going for each other as well as the other guys. Just like in…Afghanistan.
[QUOTE=RTFirefly]
Exactly how would our absence make the Shi’ites stronger vis-a-vis the Sunnis?
[/QUOTE]
It wouldn’t…what it would do is throw off what little restraint and control we are currently exerting. Right NOW there aren’t pitched battles going on in the country side between the various militias. No one is fighting at the battalion or regimental level against each other. You don’t have tanks, artilliary, large concentrations of troops, etc, battling it out…but smaller scale clashes, terrorist/insurgent type strikes, executions, etc going on. Yeah…thats bad…big battles though would be worse. And if the US wasn’t there, I’m guessing the gloves would come completely off.
[QUOTE=RTFirefly]
No, we just have the “thousands being killed” part. What we don’t have is front lines of the battle, with relative peace and safety to the rear; the battle is everywhere, and increasingly ill-defined.
[/QUOTE]
We don’t have thousands being killed a day right now. We don’t have cities being sacked, pillaged, burned, etc. As I said above, we currently have violence on a retail scale…instead of on a wholesale one.
As for front lines…in these kinds of civil wars, I doubt there would BE defined lines with safe areas. Each side would be trying their best to destroy not only the enemy army in the field, but to hit their ‘safe’ areas in the rear. What you would end up with, IMHO, is both what we have now (i.e. terrorist/insurgent attacks in the ‘safe’ areas) AND battles ranging in size and destruction between militia/para-military formations. It would be..well, really REALLY bad. As opposed to just really bad, as it is now.
[QUOTE=RTFirefly]
What exactly does the government control? The ability of this government to exercise any authority outside the Green Zone appears to be almost completely dependent on us.
[/QUOTE]
They control the Iraqi military…FWIW the best trained and equiped fighting force that isn’t part of the coalition in Iraq. They DO exert control outside of the Green Zone, and they DO patrol and launch military operations outside of Bahgdad. They might not exert full control, and its debatable how MUCH control they have outside the capital, but they do have some.
As for them being completely dependent…well, thats debatable too. I’d say you are mostly right though…for the most part, they are dependent on us to hold things together right now.
[QUOTE=RTFirefly]
Certainly, absent partition. It’s almost there now, even with us having 140K troops in country.
[/QUOTE]
I disagree. WHat you see right now is classic insurgent hit and run type tactics…car bombs, roadside bombs, hit and run attacks, small scale confrontations. What you don’t see much of is large scale formations running into each other, cities being taken and retaken…stuff like that.
[QUOTE=RTFirefly]
That’s where we disagree. IMHO, a descent into an anarchy where no one force controls that much of anything, but where each local militia is at war with its neighbors several blocks away in each direction, is the absolute worst hell. No one is safe, ever, and at the end of it, a generation has been raised that has no idea of what normal life is like, and completely lacks the tools to survive in a peaceful world.
[/QUOTE]
I’m not sure what we are disagreeing on then. I said a decent into real Civil War would be the worst possible thing that could happen. I suppose if you are of the opinion that the scenerio you painted above wouldn’t be part of the decent into all out civil war in Iraq then maybe you have a point…MY point is that your ‘decent into an anarchy where no one force controls that much of anything’ IS what could (and IMHO WOULD) occur in Iraq if we tried to partition and bolt.
[QUOTE=RTFirefly]
No offense, but where are we going to get the troops from? The list of tricks and kludges we’re doing to sustain 140K troops in Iraq as is, is long and impressive. The reason we’re having to resort to turning sailors and airmen into ground troops, calling up the individual ready reserve, throwing our elite training units into the fray, recruiting skinheads and gangbangers, etc., etc., is that 140K troops in Iraq, plus 20K in Afghanistan, plus our other commitments, is already fundamentally unsustainable.
[/QUOTE]
No offense taken.
Answer: Damned if I know. As I said in earlier posts, I don’t have all the answers either. I know that if we don’t want Iraq to go tits up (well, completely tits up), we better find a way. If we have to spend more on a larger military, then we’d need to do it. If we’d need to grovel to the UN or to our Euro buddies (if it would help) then we need to do that. I don’t know what it would take…I just feel that its one of the things we really need to consider before allowing Iraq to fly apart.
[QUOTE=RTFirefly]
But our differences seem to come down to which one sees as being worse: a second-generation-style civil war between a few major factions, or the total breakdown of any large-scale authority. You see the former as being worse, while I fear the latter far more. I suspect that there’s no way to resolve that through debate. Iraq will unfortunately probably go down one of those roads, and either way it will be pretty bad.
[/QUOTE]
As you say…there ARE no ‘good’ answers, no silver bullets to this fucked up situation. Certainly not as long as Bush et al remain in control of the WH…and maybe not even after they are gone. There are only the best of a lot of bad choices now. WHich is the best of the bad choices? Well, we both obviously see things differently there. But that they are all bad choices? I think we are in agreement at least that far. 
-XT