Patronization of Black People

[Moderator Hat: ON]

tikoon said:

Wow. Only two messages so far and already you’ve broken the rules. Not a good start.

You want to insult somebody, go to the Pit. Or better yet, just go. But don’t do it again in Great Debates, or you will find that you don’t have an option about the “just go” part.

David B, SDMB Great Debates Moderator

[Moderator Hat: OFF]

That makes sense. I’ll buy that.

This is the strangest thread I’ve yet to encounter on the SD message board - although I’ve been just a few months perusing and submitting, I’m sure it gets a whole lot wierder…It is indeed embarressing to witness a 40 or 50 year old talking current urban street, but no more so than William Buckley talking 60’s jive, ( I’ve yet to recover from that). I’d hate to think that any professional would think it neseccary to pidgin his english just to communicate to his subject and audience. Ebonics, though well intentioned, in my view was pure dumb-ass in its premis that dumbing down the language was a valid means to convey proper language usage (and it was geared primarily to black inner city students and I found it dammned condecending) So I guess I vote yes to Capt’s opening post. Not being much of a sports fan I never heard of either gentlemen, but I’d imagine it was a simple case of the interviewer trying to qualify his hippness (and I’m not even sure if hip is still rad). Getting old sucks!

Haha, Dungy