Paying the annual SDMB member fee

Okay here’s a question. What the heck is a Custom Title Charter Subscription for only 8 more dollars a year? Or only 1 dollar for a week, and why would that be a useful option? I don’t remember seeing that before.

Ok. You’re fine with letting someone else pay. I get that.

This is really hilarious. You think it doesn’t cost money to run the public library, and that’s why you borrow books for free? :smiley:

You do pay for library services. It’s called taxes. Thanks for the laugh. I needed that.

Lets you put stupid titles or stupid phrases under your name. For instance, look under my name in this message.

Pay for what? If no one paid, would the SDMB cease to exist?

I pay for three reasons:

[ol]
[li]I can’t stand all of the advertising that clutters up most websites (and slows them down, or causes them to repeatedly reload), and being a paid member eliminates the ads.[/li][li]I hope that my small annual contribution helps keep the SDMB going.[/li][li]I get to feel special with my cool “Charter Member” title. ;)[/li][/ol]

I joined PayPal years ago solely to pay my annual SDMB subscription fee. I linked a credit card to my account, and it works just fine. I don’t see what the big deal is with using PayPal.

Ditto. I just paid up for another year. A couple of years ago I started paying a year in advance just so that I don’t have to worry about missing the renewal deadline, so I’m actually paid through May 2018.

If NOBODY paid, of course it would. Do you seriously think websites don’t cost any money to run??

I doubt if member subscriptions are enough to financially support the site, but somewhere someone is paying.

Possibly, yes.

I thought you weren’t selling anything?

Didn’t the SDMB exist for years without funding?

Look, I have no problem with paying for a site that I consider fun and valuable, but there has been no indication from this site’s administration that funding was critical or even desirable. If the SDMB told me that access would be dependent on membership fees, I would probably be a paid member.

As I said before, what do I get from being a paid member other than the “Member” designation under my name?

…if the intent of this thread was to passive-aggressively take potshots at those posters who have chosen not to subscribe then perhaps the pit would have been a more appropriate place to post this?

+1

The SDMB has never existed “without funding.” For the first few years the funding was supplied by the Chicago Reader, with a little additional revenue from their poor attempts to sell T-shirts and mugs.

The the Reader made the fateful – and damn near fatal – decision to go to a “pay to post” business model. Their idea was to have the SDMB fully funded by subscriptions. This business model turned out to be, shall we say, unsustainable.

TPTB then adopted the hybrid advertising/subscription model that we have today. Attempts over the years to find out what percentage of revenue comes from advertising vs. subscriptions have been met with a firm “none of your business” by the Reader, Creative Loafing and Sun-Times Media (and I think there was another owner in there at one point.)

As for what we members get, let’s see if I can remember:

No advertising
Ability to list items in the Marketplace forum
More private messages
Possibly some other small stuff that no one uses

You may think that isn’t worth much; on the other hand, memberships are pretty cheap, as well.

I meant “without funding” from the users/readers.

No advertising
Don’t care

Ability to list items in the Marketplace forum
Don’t care

More private messages
**Don’t care
Possibly some other small stuff that no one uses
Don’t care

Agreed. If I lost the title, I’d probably stop paying. That said, I’m really glad that I stumbled into this thread because it made me check my status, which would have otherwise expired in less than a week!

It’s not much but I’m genuinely poor so I’m actually just fine with others paying. I could pay it, sure. I have a Paypal account and it’s not like 15 USD is the difference between having an apartment and moving to live under a boat but I’d rather use my very limited entertainment funds somewhere where I absolutely must pay.

Hey, when a post is truly funny, I gotta laugh. Thinking the library is free? Tell me you didn’t smile a *little *at the naivete of that notion.

The intent of the thread was, as stated, to find out why people choose not to pay for a service that costs money to run, but that they are not required to pay for. I’m finding out.

I’d rather buy beer.

I’m paid through to 2018. I don’t actually post much, but I do want to make sure that this board stays around because I love reading it, and because it’s there when I do need it.

The one erudite place on the internet, I have to support this. :wink:

That’s why I don’t subscribe in a nutshell. I used to subscribe, but the experience wasn’t any better than belonging for free.

No advertising - I can ignore ads on my own without subscribing or using an adblocker.

Marketplace - I can buy shit on eBay or Amazon and I don’t have anything to sell.

More PMs - I hardly get any as it is. I currently have 3 in my inbox that I’m too lazy to delete.

Other small shit I don’t care about.

I can get two large pizzas at Little Caesar’s for $14.95 and get more value for my money. Also, I don’t pay to belong anywhere else and other boards have nicer shit for free.

I pay so that I can curse in the Pit.

But nothing in Mr. Mean Mustard’s post said that he thought the library didn’t cost anything to run–that’s just something you read into it.

I don’t pay anything to borrow books from the public library because the taxes I pay cover the cost of running the library. The circulation desk doesn’t charge me per book because the fees are met through separate channels. If I’m not a resident in the service area, the library will be happy to sell me a non-resident card; I can have full borrower privileges at the library by 1) residing in the area over which they collect taxes, or 2) paying $85/year. The library gets paid either way.

Similarly, I can use SDMB by 1) buying a subscription, or 2) renting out my eyeballs to the advertisers who pay money to the SDMB to put ads in front of those eyeballs. The SDMB gets paid either way, and given that the SDMB continues to offer the second option, they apparently get paid enough for my eyeballs to make it viable. I’m paying for my subscription; I’m just not paying currency.