PC for a child. What capacity is needed?

Also a Mac would be fine, they are cheap & easy to learn on. Mac Plus, Mac LC, etc, cheap on ebay. be sure to get with software .

Thanks for all your help.
It is wonderful to recieve replys form around the world about my little question. I hope my nephew will enjoy his computer like I enjoy mine.

General Questions is for questions with factual answers. This is more a poll or matter of opinion.

Off to IMHO.

DrMatrix - General Questions Moderator

Just make sure you can upgrade the hard drive. 1 gig will fill up in no time at all. the computer sounds similar to the one we use for our kids and it’s running most kids’s games OK

We’re buying a new hard drive today as this one is choked. And more RAM. And then the damned thing is not getting any more $ spent on it for years :wink:

That sounds almost identical to an old computer I used to have (a 133 Mhz Packard Bell), and I remember running into all knds of trouble when I tried to upgrade the hard drive.

I forget what it was, exactly (I think it was a BIOS problem - old ass motherboard and all), but it required that I buy a PCI hard drive controller. Not the biggest deal in the world, but it’s an extra $40 or $50 you’re looking at there (plus installation fees if you don’t have a geek around to do it for you).

As far as games go, if it wouldn’t be ruining a surprise any, could you ask your nephew what games he wants to play and let us know?