PC Gamers: Will you buy the big Microsoft games coming to PC on the Windows Store?

Well, you’d be happy to know that Forza 6 PC will NOT support wheels from the offset. Only gamepads.

Why am I not surprised?

That’s weird. What’s the logic there? Is it because the Xbone version only supports those Microsoft-supported wheels and not just a general protocol for wheels?

In any case, I’m sure you could use something like 360ce to emulate gamepad inputs from a wheel, but if they want to be taken seriously on PC that sure is stupid.

My understanding is that Microsoft changed the entire protocol. None of the old Rock Band stuff works either. I have a $300 set of Ion drums sitting in a corner that no longer work with the new Rock Band because Microsoft won’t allow it. People in the Forza forums are spitting mad about their expensive wheels not working any more, and the manufacturers say they never will, because one of the changes Microsoft made was to require an authentication chip in new peripherals which the old ones don’t have. The only ‘solution’ is to invest in a new wheel controller and wheel, to the tune of almost $1,000 CDN. That’s not going to happen.

They obsoleted untold millions of dollars of their customer’s property so they could implement stronger DRM, essentially.

The Xbone is dead to me anyway. It’s a piece of junk. The HDMI has trouble syncing without multiple reboots, the video ‘pass through’ that’s supposed to make it a media center actually degrades the video, you can’t use the media features without a $150 Kinect (and in my case another $150 for extension cables and a repeater, plus $50 for Microsoft’s dongle that allows you to use an extension), bootup takes longer than the Xbox360 did, the Blu-Ray player is buggy and overly sensitive to disk errors. They totally broke compatibility with old games, including all the Xbox Live games purchased from Microsoft’s own store. The new UI is harder to use and slower than the old one in the 360.

I’ve had an Xbox One for a few months now. The only thing it’s used for is watching the occasional Blu-Ray, and even that is a source of endless frustration as it stutters, skips and freezes on disks that my other Blu-Ray player handles with no problem. The only game I bought for it was Rock Band 4, and that was before I discovered that all my peripherals were unusable with the new game. I’ll be unlikely to buy another.

The only good thing about totally ruining my investment in games and peripherals is that now I’m free to switch to the PS4. My wheel and pedals will even work with it, because Sony was careful to keep their customer’s value intact. Or I may just stay with PC gaming - especially with the Vive coming next month.

Microsoft’s ability to make their platforms incrementally worse over time continues to amaze me. When I got onboard with the 360 a couple of years after launch, it was great. The UI was speedy and intuitive, 95% of the features I wanted were implemented, it was easy to join games, blah blah etc. And then they spent the next half dozen years bloating the thing with junk.

Though astonishingly, it’s still better than the crap ass interface on the PS3. Damn that this is awful.

Changed the protocol just for the Xbone, right? 360 stuff still works for the 360?

That’s really obnoxious. That’s enough for me to definitely give the Xbone a pass - not that I’m anxious to get a console this gen, but I’d definitely go PS4 this time around.

I wish the PS4 would exploit that by allowing USB xbox 360 peripherals, but I’m guessing not.

Yeah, Sony isn’t even being THAT forgiving - a lot of PS3 components light ‘Arcade Sticks’/‘Fight Sticks’/whatever have weird compatibility issues with the PS4.

I saw a crowdfunding attempt at RB4 on PC. Seems kinda shady when a succeeful company wants to do that sort of thing, but I would like RB on PC. But there are other good alternatives. I should get back into rhythm games. I tore my rotator cuff which mostly ended my drumming. Not sure if it’s healthy enough to hold up now.

And the new rockband is probably coming to PC too, they just announced a kick-starter.

I’m more of a retro gamer, so the answer is already no. PC is the best retro-gaming machine.

But, even back when I was more of a tradional PC gamers, I would still say no. If I tended to like console games, I wouldn’t be a PC gamer. I mean, it’s a whole lot easier to get good enough specs using a console than with a PC. Or, more precisely, I wouldn’t have to not get a game because I didn’t have the specs for it.

That said, I’m kinda glad it’s happening, at least for those people who get so frustrated with bad PC ports. If they actually do pull off these universal apps, it means better PC support.

This really just feels so unnecessary, much like Uplay. More trouble than it’s worth. I don’t hate Microsoft for wanting to build their own ecosystem .The problem I have is that they, like too many other companies, want to use the stick instead of the carrot to bring in customers. If you want something, you must go to their store and go inside their little walled fortress to play, and you will only play in the exact way they want you to play. I’m simply not going to jump through hoops to please some corporation. One look at the towering walls on their grim fortress o’ doom and you say, “I’ll just visit the pleasant picturesque village with artisan cheese or the bustling, friendly town of merchants.”

*Which would be Gog and Steam in this analogy.

Scalebound and Recore look really interesting, and I’ve been looking at Cuphead. I didn’t realize they were coming to some special ecosystem though.

I think Cuphead and recore at least will be on Steam too. Basically anything third party-ish is likely to come to Steam. anything fully funded by Ms is likely Ms store only.

Meh, these days 99% of “console games” come to PC, and they are better there. And if you found that you couldn’t run modern games, you’d just upgrade your GPU for $300 just like you’d go out and buy an Xbox one when games you wanted weren’t hitting your xbox 360. And you’d stream your games to your TV’s with something like Steam Link.
What I’m saying is PC is a better console than most consoles these days :slight_smile:

This makes a pretty good case why it’s a total pile of shit. Something I didn’t know - it says we’re going to have a console-style patching process where game companies have to pay and wait for approval for every patch. Fuck that nonsense.

I hope this fails as badly as GFWL did but doesn’t take nearly so long. Microsoft failed in the mobile sector - they should just suck it up and accept it, and not try to cripple their bread and butter chasing non-viable dreams of mobile interoperability.

First, I’m never upgrading to Windows 10 willingly. I stayed until the end on XP and I plan on doing that with Windows 7.

Second, I am plenty happy with Steam and GOG and from what I heard of the Windows Store, its pretty much shit.

Third, I don’t really play any of the big games they have there.

The only way I will get the Windows Store is if they offer all the Halo games. I didn’t get it on Xbox and have been waiting for them to come out on Steam forever.