PC Gaming general discussion (Gaming PCs, game sales, news, etc...)

I bought a new mouse; now I can play games like Mount & Blade without the computer scrolling through my weapons while I’m trying to aim a bow.

Both Epic and Steam have sales going on right now. Not everything is on sale but there are certainly some that have substantial savings.

Any recommendations for a good game at a great price?

Looking through my wishlist – meaning I haven’t played them so don’t know if they’re good – the most interesting sale I see right now is 40% off Humankind.

I did pick up Civ6 a couple months ago but have only tried the tutorial a few times. All three times I ran out of time that session before finishing the tutorial, and you can’t save it, so I’ve restarted it each time. Steam says I’ve logged 3.8 hours, so it’s over an hour long. And again, you can’t save. Quite the hurdle to getting started. (I’ve never played any Civ game before.)

But that’s a genre I think I would really like, so I’m excited about Humankind. 40% off is the best sale I’ve seen on it so far, though I tend to wait for 70% off of better where possible.

Also Forza Horizon 4 is now 70% off, by far the best sale I’ve seen. I kind of expected a sale like that when Forza Horizon 5 was released, but nope. Well, it’s here now, but it’s been in my wishlist so long I kind of don’t care anymore. Maybe when it’s 85% off I’ll pick it up.

And finally, the game that has its tentacles into me proper – hundreds of hours and still going strong – is Cities: Skylines. It and its DLC are having a pretty good sale right now as well in celebration of the new Airports DLC that was just released a few days ago.

https://steamdb.info/sales/

you can use this website to track sales and see the lowest recorded prices on steam.

you started with the worst one … go to gog.com and get civ 3 and 4 and then 5 on steam before starting 6 but the best one is civ 2 but that’s impossible to get legally … you can find it tho

“We Happy Few” is 90% off at $6.

I haven’t played it, but it’s apparently a game with great story and so-so gameplay.

I doubt it’s worth it’s full $60 sticker price, but with a story that’s apparently as good as it is, it’s probably worth $6.

I know I am in a minority here but I think Civ-V is the best (if you have all the DLC that goes with it).

Everyone crows about IV but I don’t get it (and I have been an avid Civ fan since II).

VI just annoys me. Seems like they dumbed down everything including graphics to appeal to the console market.

Just my $0.02. YMMV

You definitely don’t have to do them in order. There’s no reason to play Civ 2 or 3.

Some people prefer 4 over 5, it has arguably more depth to the city strategy but less depth to the combat. I’ve never played 6, I don’t know if it’s better than 4 or 5.

This turns out to be an understatement. The DLC sale is good at around 70% off, but they were also 65% off three weeks ago so it’s not particularly great.

But the base game itself is a whopping 88% off at WinGameStore. (Which sells Steam keys.) Under $4 is pretty awesome.

If anyone doesn’t have it but wants to take a flier, just get the base game. I was 70 hours in before I bought my first DLC; the base game alone is plenty to enjoy if you end up liking it.

If they were designing it for consoles, there probably wouldn’t have been a three year gap between the PC and the console releases.

Agreed; with the DLC I do think V managed to edge out the previous titles. I can’t put my finger on what it is about VI that misses, but something about it just doesn’t work for me.

Everyone has their favorite Civ. I learned English playing Civ I with a dictionary when I was around 9 years old. My english teacher later thought my vocabulary was weird. II was my favorite game when it came out 25 years ago, but I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone today. I think III was a bit odd. Civ IV is still my absolute favorite of the series, and I never cared much for the gameplay design of V or VI.

My favorite Civ related thing is Fall From Heaven 2, which is a total conversion fantasy mod for Civ IV. It’s my favorite fantasy style 4x of all time other than Master of Magic. Fall From Heaven II mod for Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword - Mod DB

There is this essence it just doesn’t have.

for me, it’s the whole district system. at some point, you just decide when you want your town’s population to stop growing so you can build the building …

it’s lacking all the little "quality of life " touches that they took away like in every civ you can say you’re in the middle of building a temple and have 5 turns left on and barbarians show up and you need a warrior … it’s not just ok your 75 percent done you pay 30 gold for the last 4 points you get charged for buying a new one outright … and well I haven’t liked what they’ve done with the wonders the past few games … and they have spies but they’re gimped compared to the original concepts

Theres other issues I have with it but its civ so …

You might be right about districts. I liked the idea in theory, though.

wow the sims is 22 yearts old I remember playing the sims one (id still love ot get a hold of a copy of sims one complete )

here’s the copy on the steam free weekend and sale :
Celebrate 22 Years of Sims

Play The Sims™ 4 trial between February 3-7*

Happy birthday Simmers! We’re celebrating with sales and a time limited trial. Create unique Sims whose personalities and appearances you choose and play through the stories of their lives.

You’ll constantly discover new reasons to celebrate as they make friends, fall in love, build their careers, and grow their families. Try The Sims™ 4 between Feb 3-7 and save 88% when you purchase from Feb 3-11.

Also, save on select packs that expand your Sims’ world with new locations, jobs, and gameplay from Feb 3-11.

Hey, fans of Civ IV: keep an eye out for Old World, a new historical 4X title from Soren Johnson, IV’s lead designer.

My SO saved up for a new laptop, which of course came with Windows 11 installed. There has to be a way to check her printer’s ink levels without printing anything. Any help?

Ok i posted this in the free PC game thread but I have some extra games because of the annoying humble bundle format anyone who pms me can have codes for any of the following

@Skywatcher
normally there’s a “*insert printer company and/or model here) Utility” link in the start menu she should be able to find her brand’s ink monitor somewhere in there