PC Gaming general discussion (Gaming PCs, game sales, news, etc...)

Sounds like a disgruntled ex-employee!

I do know about the black noctuas but when I was putting my latest build together, they weren’t available and like you, I have no regrets.

Happy gaming everyone.

FWIW I have used Noctua fans and air coolers in multiple builds and they perform like champions. No complaints. Not one.

They are pricey, and beige, but never bothered me. Unless you are going for a super swank build that you can gaze lovingly at next to your monitor you’ll really never notice. Performance and quiet and reliable…sign me up.

YMMV.

Epic and Ubisoft are having sales right now.

Epic has discontinued their $10 sale coupons they used to offer and now gives a much less interesting 25% off on purchases $15+. They’re saying it’s because of global currency instability though I think it has a lot more to do with them eating the $10 on each purchase and Epic Game Store still not being especially profitable or seeing much growth from their sales (each year they post that a bunch of new accounts were made but a relatively modest increase in sales dollars)

Ubisoft, on the other hand, discontinued their previous 20% sale coupons and are… giving $10 off on games $15 or more. So if you wanted an Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Fenyx, Watch Dogs, etc game this is a pretty good time to grab one – many can be had for $5-$10 between the sale price and coupon discount. I think I know people who said the $10 code was reusable but don’t quote me. Still, since it’s a flat discount, if you had two or more $15+ games, it wouldn’t hurt to break them into two purchases and potentially get $10 off each.

Yeah, Ubisoft are bad though, just failed to buy Far Cry 6 twice, all the way through checkout and Page not found in the end.

I haven’t had any issues, but I haven’t tried to buy FC6 either. Maybe try through the Ubi client instead of the web site?

Just been on their chat. Incognito mode on latest chrome. Also Edge. Ad blocker removed. UK based store. All of these fail. Amex says the authorisation has passed. I give up.

Yeah does it via the pc client too.

I hope you can figure it out, FC6 has been a really fun experience so far. All the wild and crazy random animal attacks, gun battles, etc. with none of the drugged against your will, jarring changes in game play. With my 2070 Super it’s really pretty too. Plus, you play as a reluctant local man or woman, not a reluctant white knight there to save the day.

Oh I’m sure FC6 will be bought eventually and the price point was decent there, I always try and get the season passes too, so the total with season pass would have been 27 pounds if I’d used that code twice. But one day it’ll be that price and I’ll pick it up. I’ve got too many games to play, perhaps should play Watchdog: Legion which I bought at Christmas from them, I always did want to see how good their London was, and whether it had my shortcut I used to use every week to get between Euston station and Kings Cross.

Ubisoft annoys me to no end.

There is no indication if I own something already. Add to that I have some season passes which complicate things.

For example, I have Anno 1800 (great game), Season Pass 1 and 2 and some other DLC. When looking at their page I have no freaking clue what I own already nor do I know what I do and do no get with the Season Pass.

I am sure I can figure it out but that will take some work.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but opinions on upgrading to Windows 11? I have an ROG Zephyrus that I mostly use for gaming and browsing the Internet, and Windows is constantly asking about upgrading. Windows 11 has been out for a while - have the kinks mostly been worked out, or better to wait longer?

Ooh, great question, I’m also interested in what people think. This thread is fine, but it also might be a worthwhile topic on its own.

ETA: I kind of regret trying to make an omnibus thread for PC gaming. The forum is slow moving enough that I think giving each individual topic its own thread reaches a bigger audience.

My machine keeps telling me I need to activate TPM. I can’t be bothered. I’ll worry about it when I no longer have an option to ignore it.

I have been running Windows 11 for a couple of months now and no issues whatsoever. In fact, I was having an annoying window resizing issue with Windows 10 that would appear when flipping between HDMI and DP on my monitor (work vs home machines using the same monitor) and after migrating to Win11, the issue has not reappeared.

The only odd issue was the need to reinstall drivers for my HOTAS, and button boxes/rudder pedals that are Arduino/clone powered. Everything else just worked right off the hop.

I have a laptop which came with Windows 11 installed, which I’m using for linux.

It enraged me, the fact they’ve changed the whole desktop to be like a unix window manager from the 90s (bottom taskbar centralised and doesn’t work like it used to), like they did in old windows versions (8?). And have not provided an option to “go back to fXXking normal, I fXXking hate this, why are you forcing me to change???”.

One day I will be using the laptop to game (work laptop, which I’d game on in a hotel room if I worked onsite), and I hope to god that they’ve allowed us to go back to normal by then. I’ve hated M$ for years, but this sort of forced gui change absolutely drives me crazy.

Interesting - do you feel like there are functionality issues, or is it more you don’t care for the new interface?

I feel as if I’ve worked on a windows based gui environment from well before Windows 995 (actually it was solaris opencde for a lot of my working life before windows, 3.1 wasn’t really anything but something to load dos programmes), and I’ve no space for them moving shit about again just because they want to justify paying them again.

Maybe the functionality is there. Perhaps if every windows machine I worked on was a windows 10, but I’ve got 4 of them with different OS on each (cinnamon desktop works like windows 10). I will avoid using that OS until they have a cheap or free version of what windows 10 looks like now. They’re trying to sell me something I really don’t want.

I hated the Windows 10 task bar and Start menu before I deleted all their default crap and added my own. I deleted all items from the right side of the Start menu Pinned my commonly used apps there.

Before that I used a program called Start10 to make Windows 10 UI more like Windows 7, and I see they have a Start11 now: Stardock Start11: Restore the Classic Start Menu in Windows 10 and 11.

I used to use Classic Shell, and then followed it to Open Shell when it went open source. My start menu is highly curated, and its form and function hasn’t changed (much) for me in around 20 years.

I’m assuming I can still run Open Shell under Windows 11. (A quick Google to see suggests maybe, but not yet?)

Was getting disturbingly high CPU temps during gaming, 90C-100C. Ordered a Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler; just had the stock Intel cooler on it before. Got it today, installed it about 90 minutes ago. Super easy to install after I figured out the mounting plates. Old thermal paste was fairly dry and chalky, which was probably not helping things. Did 30 minutes of OCCT testing and then played about an hour of Sniper Elite 5. CPU temps never crossed 65C. Very happy with this purchase.

The Steam summer sale has started. I’ll make my semi-annual remark that Steamdb is the best way to check for historical low prices, sort games by rating and generally sift through all the stuff.